Revised: July 25, 2003
1. Individual faculty member reports outside professional activities once a year at the time of Tenure & Promotion (T&P) or annual review using the approved format developed by the local unit.
2. Local unit head (department chair) reviews and approves all individual reports and takes appropriate action to modify or prohibit activities in which a perceived conflict of interest or commitment exists and submits a summary report, as well as individual cases of "impropriety" and actions taken to the head of the supervisory unit (dean).
3. The head of the supervisory unit (dean) reviews summary reports from each local unit and advises the Office of Research Compliance (ORC) of situations involving impropriety. Reports annually (August 15) to the Office of Research Compliance indicating; school or division compliance with policy, instances deserving review and actions taken. (Note: Supervisory unit heads will be notified by ORC 60 days in advance of the annual reporting deadline. The Annual Report should include unit summary reports.)
4. The Office of Research Compliance will review local unit summary reports to ensure compliance with University policy. ORC will refer instances deserving review, including actions taken by supervisory and local unit heads, to the Vice President for Research (VPR).
5. The Vice President for Research, upon receiving a referral, will determine if further action is required. If not, ORC is informed and the report of the unit head is accepted and filed in ORC. If further investigation is warranted, the VPR will take action as deemed appropriate.
6. Appeals of decisions made by unit heads can be made to the VPR. Further appeal can be made to the University Committee on Conflict of Interest for recommendation to the Provost. Additional appeals are handled in accordance with Faculty grievance procedures.