Learning by doing is central to the College of Pharmacy experience. From gaining real-world experience in our compounding labs to on-the-job training during rotations in hospitals, healthcare facilities and retail pharmacies around the region, you can’t beat our hands-on approach to pharmacy education.
As students progress through their studies, they participate in more in-depth patient care activities and experiences. Hands-on learning begins in the first year and continues through the fourth year of the Pharm.D. program.
With our participation in the Palmetto Experiential Education Partnership, we have more than six-hundred experiential education sites and opportunities across the globe for South Carolina pharmacy students.
Here’s what you can expect from year to year:
- Observe health system practice and community pharmacy settings
- Complete laboratory simulation work-shadow with preceptors
- Experience introductory experiences (IPPEs)
- Assist in introductory patient care services
- Experience required and elective advanced experiences (APPEs)
- Provide patient care services for extended periods at a practice site
- Complete a variety of rotations at different practice settings
Connect Through Interprofessional Education
At the University of South Carolina, pharmacy students join a community of other health care students in disciplines such as nursing, medicine, social work and public health. Before you graduate, you will develop the skills necessary to collaborate and communicate as part of an interdisciplinary team dedicated to providing patients with seamless care.