February Monthly Tips
By Office of Parent & Family Programs, firstname.lastname@example.org, 800-868-6752
- Academics. Encourage your student to utilize the Student Success Center resources to receive extra help in certain classes. Resources include peer tutoring, supplemental
instruction, writing labs and more!
- Commencement. Families can learn when their spring 2019 graduate’s ceremony will take place by
visiting the Commencement website. Local hotels and restaurants will book quickly for Commencement weekend, so think
about making your reservations soon.
- Conversation Kick-Starters. Looking to have meaningful conversations with your South Carolina student? The Parent & Family Programs mobile application hosts conversation topics and questions on a variety of subjects to encourage discussion
between you and your student. New posts are added monthly to help keep the conversation
- Off-Campus Housing Search. Students who are still searching for next year’s housing can attend the Spring 2019
Off-Campus Housing Expo Feb. 7 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. They can meet with representatives
from local student apartment communities and can get their off-campus housing questions
answered by the Office of Off-Campus Living & Neighborhood Relations.
- Parents Association. Join the dues-free Parents Association! You’ll receive monthly e-newsletters and other timely information from the Office
of Parent & Family Programs to keep you updated. It’s the best way for parents and
families to stay connected to South Carolina!
- Scholarships. Now is the time for students to think about applying for departmental scholarships (deadlines vary) to offset costs for the 2019-20 academic year.
- Spring Break. Spring break is right around the corner, March 10-17. Have a conversation with your
student about their plans during the break. Encourage your student to make safe and responsible choices whether they’re on campus, traveling, or home with you. As a reminder, residence
halls will close for the break March 9 at 10 a.m. and reopen March 17 at 8 a.m. The
Greek Village will close for the break March 8 at 6 p.m. and reopen March 17 at noon.
- Stress Management. If your student is feeling stressed or overwhelmed, encourage them to schedule an
appointment with Counseling and Psychiatry. South Carolina students who have paid the student health fee are eligible to receive
most counseling services at no additional charge. Please note that students who request
more than 10 individual visits per academic year may incur additional charges.
- Undergraduate Research. Students who have participated in undergraduate research are encouraged to apply for Discover USC, an annual event to be held April 26 for undergraduates to showcase their scholarly pursuits in and out of the classroom. The deadline for students to register is March 8.
Share this Story! Let friends in your social network know what you are reading about