December Monthly Tips
Posted on: December 6, 2019; Updated on: December 6, 2019
By Office of Parent & Family Programs, firstname.lastname@example.org, 800-868-6752
- Changing Majors. The end to the semester can often signal a change in academic interests and a desire
to shift career paths. If your student is considering changing majors next semester,
review “The Decision to Change Majors” blog post in the Parent & Family Programs mobile app for tips on discussing these options with your student and what resources are available
to them at UofSC.
- Counseling. Sometimes students feel overwhelmed during the end of the semester. If your student
needs to talk with someone about how they are feeling, encourage them to make an appointment
with staff from Student Health Services. Counseling & Psychiatry, Stress Management and Wellness Coaching are all great options for students to learn productive coping strategies to use during
- December Commencement. Commencement will be held Dec. 16 at 2:30 p.m. at Colonial Life Arena. A clear bag policy will be enforced. If you’re unable to attend, a livestream video will be available
through the University of South Carolina Facebook page.
- Fee Payment. Be sure your student reviews their spring 2020 bill thoroughly and checks that all
charges are present and accurate. The online and in-person payment deadline is Jan. 8. The deadline for pre-payment by mail is Dec. 13. Payment plans for the spring semester are available through your student's Self-Service Carolina account.
- Final Exam Schedule. If your student is unsure when their exams are, encourage them to review their syllabus
and the complete final exam schedule. Suggesting a new place to study like the Petigru College group study rooms or the
Darla Moore School of Business Global Cafe can be a great way to support your student.
- Relieve Stress. Campus Recreation offers a variety of ways for students to work out, stay in shape and relieve stress
during final exams. Additionally, encourage your student to visit the Russell House Study Union throughout finals week for free printing, snacks, massages and other stress-relief
- Spring 2020. Talk with your student about next semester’s courses if they are returning in the
spring. If your student thinks they need to add or drop a course, change their major
or decide on an alternative career path, they should reach out to their academic advisor for assistance.
- Student Ticketing. The Gamecock basketball season is in full swing. Direct your student to the Gamecock Student Rewards App to claim tickets to both men’s and women’s basketball games. Tickets are available
on a first-come, first-served basis with the option to purchase discounted guest tickets
for select games. Carolina basketball games are always fun and full of school spirit!
This is also a great way for your student to gain reward points for the fall 2020
- Winter Break. University Housing residence halls close Dec. 17 at 10 a.m. and Greek Village closes Dec. 17 at noon. Apartment-style residence halls, International House at Maxcy and South Tower will remain open for winter break. Students should speak with their resident mentor or building supervisor for more information on closing procedures for winter break. Students living off campus should refer to Off-Campus Living & Neighborhood Relations’ Tips for a Safe Holiday Season with ways to secure their home. Please note that university offices will be closed Dec. 24 through Jan. 1.