COVID-19: What you can do right now
COVID-19 is still very much around, but for most people, it’s not as disruptive to daily life as it once was. That’s thanks in part to some simple steps you can take to care for yourself and your community. Here’s what the University of South Carolina recommends:
Follow common-sense health practices.
- Wash your hands, avoid touching your face, avoid close contact with people who are sick and stay home if you’re sick.
Get the vaccinations and boosters you’re eligible for.
- The Moderna vaccine is available for free from Student Health Services.
Wear a face covering when you’re in crowded indoor spaces.
- Masks are required in the health center, but they’re a good idea anywhere you can’t practice physical distancing.
- UofSC offers free saliva-based tests, and other tests are available throughout the community.
- If you miss class because of a COVID-19 diagnosis, you’ll need to provide proof of your test results to be excused and allowed to make up work.
If you get COVID-19, isolate yourself for five days.
- Separate yourself from others by staying in a specific room or area and using a different bathroom if possible.
- You can leave isolation if you have no symptoms after five days, but you should wear a mask around other people for five more days.
- Know where you’ll isolate if you test positive and how you’ll get medication, food and other things you’ll need.
- Talk with your roommates early. Everyone should know each other’s plans for isolation before they’re needed, especially if one of you needs to isolate in place.
- Update your records in MyHealthSpace so you’ll be able to make an in-person or telehealth appointment with Student Health Services when you need one.
The university will continue to evaluate updated recommendations from health officials, monitor the local viral spread and modify plans if necessary. Check your university email (even the “Other” folder) and the university's COVID webpage frequently so you stay in-the-know.
Share this Story! Let friends in your social network know what you are reading about