The Ada B. Thomas Outstanding Faculty/Staff Advisor awards recognizes two members of our university each year who offer quality advising to undergraduate students. If you are a full-time faculty/staff person who advises undergraduate students and are knowledgeable of academic requirements you are eligible to be considered for this award.
- Advisor is a full-time faculty/staff person who advises undergraduate students.
- Advisor demonstrates concern for students.
- Advisor is knowledgeable of academic requirements, alternatives and procedures.
- Advisor knows how, when and where to refer students for additional assistance.
- Advisor engages in activities to improve advising skills and to remain current with policies and procedures.
Submissions will be accepted from USC Columbia students, faculty, staff or alumni. Since this award recognizes quality advising, submissions from students are particularly welcomed.
Application files are to be submitted electronically through the Submission forms.
Please note: All required materials should be combined into one PDF file before uploading.
Submission forms are due to the Office of the Provost by December 15, 2023.
- A resume/vita (maximum three pages) which includes advising experience
- A narrative (maximum three pages) which includes advising philosophy
- A letter (maximum two pages) from the supervisor or department head
- Letters of support (maximum three pages) from students, colleagues, alumni, etc.
Two awards will be given each year, one to a faculty member and one to a staff member. The selection committee uses the award criteria to select the winners. The winners will be honored at the spring Faculty Awards Ceremony.