In keeping with national best practices, the Provost requires pre-authorization for academic programs initiated or substantively revised at the University of South Carolina. The Provost will be evaluating all Requests for fit with the strategic priorities of Academic Affairs and of the institution.
Requests must be approved by the Provost before a college/school submits a proposal in the APPS system for faculty governance approval.
When is Pre-Authorization required?
The following program actions requiring a Pre-Authorization include:
New Program/Units Pre-Auth:
- New dual degree program
- Changes to CIP codes (triggers New Program proposal for CHE)
- Raising a concentration to the level of a full degree
- Merging multiple academic units
- Moving or rearranging academic unit structures in ways that involve budget and tenure lines
New Certificates Pre-Auth:
- New Certificates
New Centers/Institutes Pre-Auth:
- New Centers and Institutes including budget and Faculty Bio
- Changing an entity from an “Initiative” to a “Center” or “Institute”
Program Modification Pre-Auth:
- Merging multiple degrees into one degree (consolidations)
- Offering a program at one or more new sites, domestic or international
- Splitting one degree into two degrees
Pre-Authorization will NOT be required for:
- Program or unit name changes, with little or no change in curriculum or structure
- Adding concentrations to an existing degree
- Changing degree designation (ME to MS; BA to BFA; etc.)
- Combination degrees
The Academic Programs Office is charged with collecting the Request forms and facilitating communication between units and the Provost. Pre-Authorization Requests will be tracked to ensure a response is given within two weeks of submission.