COVID-19 virtual town hall for faculty and staff focuses on virus mitigation plans
President Caslen and university leadership hosted a COVID-19 virtual town hall for faculty and staff on Tuesday, July 21, 2020. The virtual session focused on plans to mitigate the spread of the novel coronavirus on the UofSC campus. One important component of UofSC’s mitigation plan is testing for students, faculty and staff. To protect the health and well-being of the campus community, students, faculty and staff are strongly encouraged to have a COVID-19 diagnostic test. Testing appointments are available daily at Student Health Services, and must be scheduled in advance through their website. Faculty and staff may watch a recording of the full, one-hour virtual town hall online.
Sign up to serve as a reviewer for Office of the Vice President for Research programs
The Office of the Vice President for Research is proud to fund meritorious research by faculty, postdoctoral scholars, graduate and undergraduate students through our slate of signature funding programs. Most recently, we have partnered with the Office of Diversity and Inclusion to launch the Racial Justice and Equity Research Fund to support research that centers on race, racial justice and racial equity through ASPIRE Program funds. The lifeblood of all of our funding programs are the faculty members who contribute their expertise to serve on program review committees. Serving on a review committee is a great way to support the UofSC research community and keep our internal funding and award programs vital and strong. Please consider signing up to serve as a reviewer.
Register to attend a digital accessibility open forum for faculty
The University of South Carolina is making a focused, university-wide commitment to ensuring digital content is accessible for all students, faculty, staff and members of the community. To help faculty members understand how this effort affects them, the university is hosting a series of open forums for faculty members to ask questions of the accessibility experts and hear from their colleagues. Register soon for one of these virtual open forum sessions:
- Monday, July 27, 2020 at 3:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, July 29, 2020 at 11:00 a.m.
Don’t miss the NIH virtual roundtable on COVID-19 surveillance and testing
Tomorrow, Friday, July 24, 2020, the NIH will host a special virtual roundtable featuring government-university dialogue, COVID-19 Surveillance and Testing: Opportunities, Challenges and Capacity. The session will be useful for university leaders and administrators, laboratory managers and federal relations staff. This free event will run from 2:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. on the NIH website. Roundtable participants will include:
- ADM Brett Giroir, M.D. - Assistant Secretary for Health, Health and Human Services
- Francis Collins, M.D., Ph.D. – Director, National Institutes of Health
- Seema Verma – Administrator, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
- James E.K. Hildreth, Ph.D, M.D. – President and Chief Executive Officer, Meharry Medical College (Invited)
- Sandra Brown, Ph.D. – Vice Chancellor for Research, UCSD
- Heidi Anderson, Ph.D. – University of Maryland Eastern Shore (HBCU president and pharmacist by training) (Invited)
- Sally Kornbluth, PhD – Provost, Duke University
- Larry Jameson, MD, PhD – Executive Vice President, University of Pennsylvania for the Health System, Dean of the Perelman School of Medicine
- Edward Feser, Ph.D. – Provost, Oregon State University
- Havidan Rodriguez, Ph.D. – President, SUNY Albany
Elsevier launches free, public COVID-19 information center
The Elsevier COVID-19 Information Center is now available for free and open access (no copyright limitations, full text and data mining) via the NIH PubMed Central and other publicly-funded platforms such as the WHO’s dedicated database. In addition to the COVID-19 Information Center, Elsevier offers a special COVID-19 Pure Portal, which combines all of the relevant research data and expertise from Scopus and makes it available in a Pure Portal environment.
23 July 2020