Research Administrators: Register now for the 2023-2024 GRANT Certificate Program
Registration is now open for the 2023-2024 GRANT Certificate Program, with a few spaces left. The Gamecock Research Administrators Network Training (GRANT) Certificate Program prepares research administrators to work with faculty in their departments to manage the administrative functions related to grants and sponsored awards. GRANT guides research staff through the ins and outs of grant administration, from pre- to post-award functions, with instruction from administrators from the USC offices of Sponsored Awards Management, Grants and Funds Management and more. Register today for one of the remaining slots for the 2023-2024 GRANT class, starting this fall.
Research Mentors: OUR offers summer support for you and your undergraduate research mentees
- Professional Development Workshops for Undergraduate Researchers: On Wednesdays throughout the month of June, the Office of Undergraduate Research will host a series of professional development workshops for undergraduate student researchers called Research: Next Steps. We invite all interested undergraduate student researchers from all disciplines to participate in these workshops (no registration required).
- SMART Applications due Friday, June 16, at noon: The Office of Undergraduate Research is now accepting SMART Program applications from faculty mentoring underrepresented minority undergraduate students this summer. Through SMART, USC faculty (all campuses, all disciplines) who mentor under-represented minority students during the summer receive a supplement of $1,000 per student, for up to two students. This support can be used toward summer salary for the mentor (faculty member, postdoctoral fellow or graduate student), research costs and/or salary for the under-represented minority undergraduate student. SMART applications for summer 2023 are due by noon on Friday, June 16, 2023. Read more and access the web-based application on the SMART Program page.
South Carolina INBRE offers summer professional development opportunities
The South Carolina IDeA Networks of Biomedical Research Excellence (INBRE) will offer two professional development opportunities this summer:
- Registration closes tomorrow, June 2, 2023, for SC INBRE’s free Academic Leadership and Career Development Workshop (ALCDW). The ALCDW, coming up on Friday, June 16, in the Close-Hipp Building, is open to all students, staff and faculty – especially those in the STEMM fields – and includes a day of networking and learning with tracks focused specifically for student development and for faculty/staff/postdocs, as well as afternoon general sessions. Learn more and register by tomorrow, Friday, June 2.
- SC INBRE Bioinformatics Core Director Homay Valafar will host a series of four free summer workshops beginning the week of June 12. Topics include: Beginning Linux and Cloud Computing for Bioinformaticists (week of June 12), Bioinformatics Analysis in R (week of June 19), Bioinformatics Analysis in Python (week of June 26) and Data Analytics and ML in Python (week of July 10). Participants can choose to attend in-person or online. Each course has been designed for investigators with little to no previous knowledge on the course subject. Participants only need a functional computer to attend. Learn more and register on the SC INBRE website.
- Save the Date: The 2023 Southeast Regional IDeA Conference is coming up September 15-17, 2023, in Columbia.
Take the Better-Internet Survey to help improve internet access across South Carolina
We are proud to partner with GetConnectedSC to help bring reliable, high-speed internet to all South Carolinians. The Better-Internet Survey is designed to pinpoint internet access availability, barriers to use and other concerns around internet use, down to a specific household level. The five-minute survey will help direct where and when improvements are made, ensuring that we can provide quality internet to all communities in the state. A Spanish version of the survey is also available here. Your participation is greatly appreciated and will help us create a more connected and equitable South Carolina.
1 June 2023