August Monthly Tips
Posted on: August 5, 2019; Updated on: August 5, 2019
By Office of Parent & Family Programs, email@example.com, 800-868-6752
- Family Weekend 2019. Mark your calendars for Family Weekend 2019, to be held Sept. 27-29! Registration
is open and will close Sept. 9 at 4 p.m. (EDT), but space is limited, so register
early! The Family Weekend website hosts helpful information and frequently asked questions for navigating the weekend. Download the mobile app to view the weekend’s schedule of events to start making your family’s plans!
- Parents Association. If you haven’t already, join the dues-free Parents Association! You’ll receive monthly e-newsletters from the Office of Parent & Family Programs to keep you updated. It’s the best way for parents and families to stay connected
to South Carolina!
- Academic resources. Encourage your student to start the semester by getting familiar with all the resources
available to help students succeed. The Student Success Center offers a variety of options including Peer Tutoring, Supplemental Instruction and the Writing Lab to assist students with course preparations.
- Campus safety. The Carolina Alert system provides students with voicemail and text updates in the event of an emergency on
campus. Encourage your student to sign up for Carolina Alerts through Self Service Carolina. Spaces are available for several phone numbers and email addresses, so ask your
student to add your contact information as well. Students should also download the
Rave Guardian App which connects them directly with USCPD during an emergency and provides important
- Fall graduation. If your student is planning to graduate in December, remind them that Sept. 16 is
the last day to apply for graduation. Fall Commencement will take place Dec. 16 at 2:30 p.m. in Colonial Life Arena.
- Family Calendar & Handbook 2019-20. The 2019-20 Family Calendar & Handbook is available to view and print on the Parents & Families Gateway. To request a hard copy be mailed to your home, send the Office of Parent & Family Programs an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- MicroFridges in residence halls. Students who live on campus and want a microwave or refrigerator in their room are
required to rent or purchase a MicroFridge through Standards for Living. Refrigerators, microwaves or MicroFridges not rented/bought
through Standards for Living will be removed from rooms. MicroFridges rented by Aug. 8 will be delivered to campus
in time for Move-In.
- Move-In package pickup. Temporary package pickup for Move-In will take place Aug. 14 – 20 at 718 Devine Street
located near Colonial Life Arena. Package pickup will resume normal operations at
the Student Mail Center in the lower level of the Russell House Aug. 21.
- Office phone calls. As the start to the school year grows closer, many offices and departments will experience
a higher volume of calls with longer wait times. If you have a general question or
concern, the Parents Assistance Line is available Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Student football tickets. Student tickets for the 2019 Gamecock football season will be allocated on a weekly
basis. Please encourage your student to read about the student ticketing process so they know how to request and claim tickets for South Carolina football games.
- Student Health Services. Student Health Services provides a holistic approach to healthcare to ensure the academic success of students.
Students have access to general medical care, physical therapy, specialized women's care, counseling, wellness services and a pharmacy.
- Student Mail Center. Want to send some mail or a care package to your student? You will need their on-campus
mailing address, which students can find in Self Service Carolina. Be sure to review
the Student Mail Center’s policies before sending a package.
- Technology Services. If your student has trouble with their computer during the year, they can visit the University Technology Services Carolina Tech Zone located at 1244 Blossom Street.