The deadline for submitting poster PDFs for the Summer Research Symposium is Monday, July 26 by noon. Details on how to submit your poster will be shared directly by email. Please contact Lauren Clark (ClarkLL@mailbox.sc.edu ) if you have any questions.
The Office of the Vice President for Research is pleased to invite undergraduate students working on summer research projects with UofSC faculty to participate in the 2021 Virtual Summer Research Symposium on Thursday, July 29, from 1:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
The symposium is open to all undergraduate students working on research projects in any discipline, with faculty from any UofSC campus, during the summer of 2021. Students visiting from other colleges and universities are welcome to present. At this student-focused symposium, undergraduate researchers will showcase their research and share their findings via virtual poster presentations facilitated by video chat.
Summer Research Symposium virtual posters will be displayed on a dedicated Summer Research Symposium page on the Office of the Vice President for Research website. Presenters will interact with visitors via Microsoft Teams virtual meetings.
Registration is now open for the 2021 Virtual Summer Research Symposium. Students interested in presenting must register at the link provided below by 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, July 14. Please take care to read and complete the steps under the “Registration Notes…” heading below BEFORE attempting to register.
If you have any questions about the 2021 Summer Research Symposium, please contact Lauren Clark in the Office of Research at 803-777-3929 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Project titles are final
The faculty mentor must approve all project/poster titles before presenters submit them through the registration form. The faculty mentor is the head of the lab or research team in which the presenter is working. Presenters should be sure to save the official poster title so they can refer to it later, when creating the poster.
MS Teams link is required to register
Before registering for the 2021 Virtual Summer Research Symposium, the lead presenter is responsible for creating a MS Teams meeting through which they will interact with visitors during the symposium event. When completing the registration form, the lead presenter must enter the MS Teams meeting link/URL where prompted. It is not possible to complete the registration form without submitting an MS Teams meeting link. The MS Teams meeting should be set up to occur on Thursday, July 29, 2021, from 1:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
MS Teams meetings are accessible by users both inside and outside of the organization via a meeting link/URL. Here are resources for setting up a meeting in MS Teams and generating the link/URL to enter into the registration form.
- MS Teams Getting Started Guide from the UofSC Service Desk
- Step-by-step guide for setting up a MS Teams meeting
- Presenters may contact the Division of IT Service Desk for help with MS Teams. The service desk is staffed with MS Teams helpers 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday.
To copy the meeting link/URL from the MS Teams app, select the calendar tab, find the meeting appointment in your calendar (on Thursday, July 29), and double-click to open the meeting details. Once inside of the meeting details:
- Select “copy link” from the upper portion of the screen or
- Find the “Click here to join the meeting” link inside of the meeting description, and right-click on that link, then select “Copy Link.”
Virtual Poster Presentation Guidelines
Summer Research Symposium virtual posters will be presented online. Presenters should ensure their poster meets the following requirements:
- Posters must be created in PowerPoint and saved/submitted in PDF format.
- The poster dimensions should be four feet wide by three feet high. (We understand that some presenters might need to re-use their posters at other conferences with different dimension requirements. To accommodate this, presenters may size their poster dimensions to suit those constraints.)
- Posters are limited to a file size no greater than 30 MB. No exceptions will be possible.
- All registered presenters will be assigned a poster file name that uses a combination of letters, numerals and underscores. (No capital letters or special characters.) It is vital that presenters adhere to the assigned poster filename to ensure proper functioning in the virtual poster gallery.
For help getting started with your poster, please refer to our instructional one-pager on How to Make a Poster Using PowerPoint (pdf) and check out a recording of our virtual workshop, Effective Poster Presentations, on YouTube.
Don’t forget: Presenters must set up an MS Teams meeting to facilitate interaction with visitors. The MS Teams meeting should be set up to occur on Thursday, July 29, 2021, from 1:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Before registering for the 2021 Virtual Summer Research Symposium remember to generate an MS Teams meeting link and have it ready to enter into the registration form where prompted. The meeting must be set up to occur on Thursday, July 29, 2021, from 1:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. Presenters cannot register without entering the event-day MS Teams link in the registration form. Students who plan to present at the 2021 Summer Research Symposium must register here by 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, July 14.
14 June 2021