These programs facilitate accurate understanding and correct use of University Data through several mechanisms, including data definitions, data standards, data quality, and data integrity assurance. UofSC uses Data Cookbook as its data governance information system, supporting these functions in keeping with university policy UNIV 1.51, Data and Information Governance.
- Data definitions - ensure that the meaning of data is clear and not subject to interpretation or opinion
- Data standards - establish what values are expected and permissible within data elements
- Data quality rules and related activities ensure that University Data is:
- accurate – free of errors
- complete – data is present, not missing or only partial)
- consistent – complies with data definitions and standards
- current – up to date
- timely – data are present by the time they are needed
- Data integrity assurance - activities ensures that actual data values conform to definitions, standards, and quality rules, that errors and variance are remediated, and that controls are put in place to prevent future recurrence of issues
Visit the Data Cookbook at sc.datacookbook.com. All UofSC faculty and and staff can use their Network Username and password to log in to the Data Cookbook.
Data Cookbook User Guides
Data Standards Manager
This position leads the data standards, quality, and integrity assurance efforts by closely working with Data Stewards, Data Managers, Data Custodians, and the data governance team. He or she:
- Facilitates creation and maintenance of data standards, including data definitions, data dictionaries, and data classification procedures, for enterprise information systems including Student, Human Resources, Finance, and Institutional Research.
- Facilitates documentation of functional data quality & integrity requirements for University Data.
- Develops and manages programs and services that ensure actual data values conform to established standards, including remediation activities that ensure accurate data is readily available for reporting, analytics, and business intelligence.
- Administers and supports use of Data Cookbook.
- Aligns the data standards, quality, and integrity assurance to the broader Data & Information Governance Framework under the direction of the Chief Data Officer, to support business intelligence.