We understand that students, faculty and staff may have questions on how to sanitize their devices. The guidance below applies to PCs, monitors or display screen, docking stations, keyboards, and mice
- We recommended you wear disposable gloves when cleaning and disinfecting surfaces.
- Turn off the device you plan to clean and disconnect AC power. Also remove batteries from items like wireless keyboards. Never clean a product while it is powered on or plugged in.
- Disconnect any external devices.
- Never spray any liquids directly onto the product.
- Moisten a microfiber cloth with a mixture of 70% isopropyl alcohol / 30% water. The cloth should be damp, but not dripping wet. Excess moisture should be removed if the cloth is wet before wiping the product. Using any material other than a microfiber cloth could cause damage to your product.
- Gently wipe the moistened cloth on the surfaces to be cleaned. Do not allow any moisture to drip into areas like keyboards, display panels, etc. Moisture entering the inside of an electronic product can cause damage to the product. Excessive wiping potentially could lead to damaging some surfaces.
- When cleaning a display screen, carefully wipe in one direction, moving from the top of the display to the bottom.
- Surfaces must be completely air-dried before turning the device on after cleaning. No moisture should be visible on the surfaces of the product before it is powered on or plugged in.
- After cleaning or disinfecting a glass surface, it may be cleaned again using a glass cleaner designed for display surfaces following directions for that specific cleaner. We recommend you avoid glass cleaning products containing Ammonia.
- Discard the disposable gloves used after each cleaning. Clean your hands immediately after gloves are removed and disposed.
Customers may experience some visible cosmetic changes to finishes over time as a result of the cleaning process outlined above on some surfaces.Other cleaning chemicals are very harsh and will damage surfaces.
Avoid using any of the following chemicals or products containing these chemicals:
- Any chlorine-based cleaner, such as bleach
- Peroxides (including hydrogen peroxide)
- Solvents such as; acetone, paint thinner, benzene, methylene chloride or toluene
- Ammonia (i.e. Windex)
- Ethyl alcohol
Using any of the chemicals listed above will cause permanent damage to some product surfaces. By following the steps outlined in this article, you can minimize the risk of damage.
Apple products are made with a variety of materials, and each material might have specific cleaning requirements. To get started, here are some tips that apply to all products:
- Use only a soft, lint-free cloth. Avoid abrasive cloths, towels, paper towels, or similar items.
- Avoid excessive wiping, which might cause damage.
- Unplug all external power sources, devices, and cables.
- Keep liquids away from the product, unless otherwise noted for specific products.
- Don't get moisture into any openings.
- Don't use aerosol sprays, bleaches, or abrasives.
- Don't spray cleaners directly onto the item.
For more detailed instructions, visit Apple's website and select your Apple product.