In addition to meeting University academic eligibility policies, student-athletes must comply with policies governed by the NCAA Division I Constitution Operating Bylaws and Administrative Bylaws. (The details of the NCAA eligibility rules are contained in the NCAA Division I Constitution Operating Bylaws and Administrative Bylaws Manual that is published annually).
UofSC’s Athletic Compliance Office and the Office of the University Registrar work together in applying the NCAA eligibility rules and monitor student-athlete compliance.
- All student-athletes must pass a minimum of 6 degree-applicable hours each academic term in which they are enrolled full-time (not including summer terms) to be eligible the following term.
- All student-athletes must pass a minimum of 18 degree-applicable hours since the beginning of the previous fall term or since the beginning of the University’s preceding regular two semesters (not including summer terms).
- All student-athletes must pass a minimum of 24 degree applicable hours prior to the beginning of the students 3rd term, including summer sessions.
- All student-athletes must pass a minimum number of cumulative hours for the percent towards degree requirement based on the number of full-time terms completed (see GPA/PTD Requirement for 120-hour Programs table below).
- Courses taken in summer school following the regular academic year may be used in calculating the progress towards degree requirement. Courses that are taken prior to initial full-time enrollment may be used to fulfill the 24-hour requirement. Transient courses must be evaluated and accepted by the University as transferrable credit. These courses must be approved by the students’ academic advisor and the Office of the University Registrar prior to enrollment at another institution.
- All student-athletes are required to declare a major by the beginning of the third year (fifth semester). University policy dictates students must choose a major after completion of 30 credit hours. From that point, calculations of credit hours to determine eligibility will be based upon credit hours earned for degree credit in the students’ specific major which count towards the student’s specific baccalaureate degree program.
GPA/PTD Requirement for 120-hour Programs
FT Terms Completed
|Degree Applicable Hours and
% of Total Hours Required for Major
|2||N/A||(1.8) 90% of UofSC Min|
|4||(48) 40%||(1.9) 95% of UofSC Min|
|6||(72) 60%||(2.0) 100% of UofSC Min|
|8||(96) 80%||(2.0) 100% of UofSC Min|