Faculty and Staff
An De Meester, Ph.D.
College of Education
Biography and Research Interests
An De Meester is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Physical Education. The overarching aim of her interdisciplinary research is to provide practical information to physical education teachers, physical education students, physical activity practitioners, sports coaches and society by addressing underlying mechanisms that foster a physically active lifestyle. Her research focuses on the dynamic relationship between children’s and adolescents’ actual and perceived motor competence and its impact on physical activity and other aspects of child and adolescent development. By applying a person-centered approach she found that overestimation of one’s own motor competence may, at least for some children and adolescents, be a favorable dispositional profile that promotes physical activity engagement and global self-esteem.
To gain more insight into this matter, her current research examines the precursors of overestimation, as well as the potential long term effects of overestimation on well-being, and engagement in physical activity. These insights will allow to better understand and apply strategies that physical education teachers, sport coaches and parents should promote to enhance actual and perceived motor competence. An De Meester received The North American Society for the Psychology of Sport and Physical Activity Outstanding Student Paper Award in 2016 and The Journal of Motor Learning and Development Excellence in Reviewing Award, 2017
- PhD in Health Sciences, Ghent University, Belgium
- Master of Science in Movement and Sport Sciences, Ghent University, Belgium
- Bachelor of Science in Teaching, Ghent University, Belgium
- Bachelor of Science in Movement and Sport Sciences, Ghent University, Belgium
Peer-reviewed journal articles
- Van Duyse, F; Haerens, L; Aelterman, N; De Muynck, G; De Meester, A (in press) Is Choice and Positive Feedback equally Effective for all Children? An Experimental, Video-based Investigation in Physical Education. Physical Education and Sports Pedagogy (Impact factor: 2.928)
- Brian, A., De Meester, A., Klavina, A., Irwin, J. M., Taunton, S., Pennell, A., & Lieberman, L. J. (2019). Exploring children with visual impairments’ physical literacy: A preliminary investigation of autonomous motivation. Journal of Teaching in Physical Education (Impact Factor: 1.731)
- Kerner, C; Kirk, D; De Meester, A; Haerens, L (2018). Why is physical education more stimulating for pupils who are more satisfied with their own body? Health Education Journal (Impact factor: 1.008)
- Degroote, L., Plaete, J., De Bourdeaudhuij, I., Verloigne, M., Van Stappen, V., De Meester, A., Poppe, L., Van der Mispel, C., Crombez, G. (2018). The Effect of the eHealth Intervention ‘MyPlan 1.0’ on Physical Activity in Adults Who Visit General Practice: A Quasi-Experimental Trial. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 15(2), 228 (Impact factor 2.145)
- Haerens, L., Vansteenkiste, M., Aelterman, N., De Meester, A., Delrue, J, Tallir, I. (2018) Different Combinations of Perceived Autonomy Support and Control: Identifying the Most Optimal Motivating Style. Physical Education and Sports Pedagogy (Impact factor: 2.928)
- De Meester, A.; Cardon, G.; De Bourdeaudhuij, I.; & Haerens, L. (2018). Extracurricular school-based sports as a stepping stone toward an active lifestyle? Differences in physical activity and sports-motivation between extracurricular school-based sports participants and non-participants. Journal of Teaching in Physical Education, 36(4), 485-497 (Impact Factor = 1.731)
- De Meester, A*; Stodden, D*; True, L; Brian, A; Goodway, J.; Ferkel, R; Haerens, L. Identifying a motor proficiency barrier for meeting physical activity guidelines in children. (2018) Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, 21(1), 58-62 (Impact factor: 3.929)
- Luz, C.; De Meester, A.; Rodrigues, L.; Cordovil, R. (2017) The relationship between motor competence and Health-related fitness in children and adolescents. PLOS ONE, 12 (6) (Impact factor: 2.766).
- De Meester, A; Stodden, D; Brian, A; True, L; Cardon, G; Tallir, I; Haerens, L (2016). Associations among elementary school children’s actual motor competence, perceived motor competence, physical activity and BMI: a cross-sectional study. PLOS ONE, 11(10) (Impact factor: 2.806)
- Bardid, F.*; De Meester, A.*; Talir, I.; Cardon, G.; Lenoir, M. & Haerens, L. (2016). Configurations of actual and perceived motor competence among children: associations with motivation for sports and global self-worth. Human Movement Science, 50, 1-9 (Impact factor: 1.841)
- De Meester, A.; Maes, J.; Stodden D.; Cardon G., Goodway, J., Lenoir, M. & Haerens, L. (2016). Identifying profiles of actual and perceived motor competence among adolescents: associations with motivation, physical activity and sports participation. Journal of Sport Sciences, 34(21), 2027-2037 (Impact factor: 2.539)
- De Meester, A., Aelterman, N., Cardon, G., De Bourdeaudhuij, I., & Haerens, L. (2014). Extracurricular school-based sports as a motivating vehicle for sports participation in youth: a cross-sectional study. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, 11 (Impact factor: 4.111)
- De Meester, A., Haerens, L. & Cardon G. (2016). Schoolsport als springplank naar blijvende sportparticipatie. In Theeboom, M. (Ed.), Sport in Vlaanderen onderzocht. Resultaten en aanbevelingen voor beleid en praktijk (p.163-178). Leuven: Acco.
- Haerens, L., Aelterman, N., De Meester, A., Tallir I. (2016). Educating teachers in health pedagogies. In Ennis, C. (Ed.), Routledge Handbook of Physical Education Pedagogies. Routledge International handbooks.
- De Meester, A., Aelterman, N., Willem, A., Theeboom, M., Boen, F. & Haerens, L. (2015) Motieven van de Vlaming om al dan niet fysiek actief te zijn. In Lievens J., Siongers J. & Waege H. (Eds.), Participatie in Vlaanderen, boek 2: Eerste analyses van de Participatiesurvey 2014. Leuven: Acco
- De Meester, A., Haerens, L. & Cardon, G. (2015). Schoolsport als een springplank naar blijvende sportparticipatie. In Theeboom, M.; Haudenhuyse, R. & Vertonghen J. (Eds.), Sport en Sociale Innovatie (p.161-171). Academic and Scientific Publishers.