Faculty and Staff
|Department:||Civil and Environmental Engineering
College of Engineering and Computing
Environmental Justice Lab Podcast
PhD, Civil Engineering, University of South Carolina 2021
MSE, Environmental Engineering, Johns Hopkins University, 2013
MS, Civil Engineering, University of South Carolina, 2012
BS, Civil Engineering, University of South Carolina, 2011
Dr. Lesley Joseph is a licensed professional engineer (PE-ENV) in South Carolina, who joined the faculty of the University of South Carolina in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering. Prior to joining USC, Dr. Joseph spent over 10 years as a consulting engineer in the design, construction, and maintenance of water and wastewater systems, including water distribution systems, wastewater collection systems, along with water and wastewater treatment plants. He has also worked as the Senior Engineer for Water/Wastewater Systems at the Savannah River Site.
Dr. Joseph’s research interests include examining disparities in the physical and social well-being of disadvantaged communities, including differences in water access and water quality, health disparities, food security, disproportionate climate impacts, and various other environmental justice issues that are commonly present in underserved communities across the southeastern United States.
- Water and Wastewater Treatment
- Environmental Justice
- Environmental Health Disparities
- Water-Climate-Health Nexus
- GEM Fellowship, 2020
- Water Environment Association of SC Endowed Fellowship, 2018 and 2020
- National Science Foundation (NSF) IGERT Fellowship for Water, Climate, and Health, 2012
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Research Fellowship, 2012
- Johns Hopkins University M. Gordon Wolman Fellowship, 2012
- EPA STAR Fellowship, 2012
- Joseph, L., Saha, M., Kim, S., Park, C., Flora, J., Yoon, Y., 2021. Removal of heavy metals from water using fabricated MIL-100(Fe) and MIL-101(Cr): Experimental and molecular modeling study. Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering: 106663.
- Joseph, L., Jun, B., Flora, J., Park, C., Yoon, Y., 2019. Removal of heavy metals from water sources in the developing world with low-cost materials: A review. Chemosphere 229: 142-159.
- Joseph, L., Jun, B., Jang, M, Park, C., Senmache, J., Hernández-Maldonado, A., Heyden, A., Yu, M., Yoon, Y., 2019. Removal of contaminants of emerging concern by metal-organic framework nanoadsorbents: A review, Chemical Engineering Journal 369: 928-946.
- Joseph, L., Zaib, Q., Berge, N., Park, Y., Khan, I., Saleh, N., Yoon, Y., 2011. Removal of bisphenol A and 17α-ethinyl estradiol from landfill leachate using single walled carbon nanotubes. Water Research 43: 4056- 4068. DOI: 10.1016/j.watres.2011.05.015
- Heo, J., Joseph, L., Park, Y., Her, N., Sohn, J., Yoon, Y., 2011. Removal of micropollutants and NOM in carbon nanotube-UF membrane system from seawater. Water, Science and Technology 63: 2737-2744.
- Wilson, S., Joseph, L., Richard, R., Williams, E., 2010. Climate change, environmental justice, and vulnerability: An exploratory spatial analysis. Environmental Justice 3: 13-19.