Current Target Schools
The USC Lancaster Upward Bound staff now work in conjunction with Andrew Jackson High School (Kershaw, SC), Lancaster High School (Lancaster, SC), and Buford High School (Lancaster, SC). A maximum of sixty (60) students from all three high schools will be accepted from 9 th grade only to participate in the program. Accepted students remain in the program until graduation from high school and completion of the Summer Experience Program.
How to Apply
Upward Bound Program Application, or pick up an application from the TRIO Learning Resource Center located adjacent to the Medford Library, call Eddie Boykins, UB Project Coordinator at 803-313-7188, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upward Bound Summer Experience Program
The Upward Bound Summer Experience Program consists of:
- a six week summer experience held at the University of South Carolina Lancaster and
- an opportunity to enroll in a college level course during summer school sessions at USC Lancaster
Experiences of the summer program offer the following types of academic and cultural activities
- field trips, live performances, on-campus activities, college visits, etc;
- workshops on a variety of topics such as personal development and academic survival skills; English, foreign language, math, and science classes held Monday - Thursday; and
- tutoring held one-on-one and/or in small groups.
These experiences give our students an opportunity to really get a feel for the college
experience while still in high school.
Upon completion of the Upward Bound Summer Experience Program, our students are rewarded with a celebration in their honor. The Upward Bound Program is one of the five TRIO Programs funded by the United States Department of Education.