The University of South Carolina (USC) immunization requirements are consistent with the recommendations of the American College Health Association and the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices.
Compliance with all immunization, post screening tests, treatment regimens, and monitoring is Mandatory. Students not fulfilling the immunization requirements, with exceptions for valid medical contraindications or documented religious reasons, will not be permitted to register for or drop classes.
Student Health Services lists required immunizations on the Immunizations website.
All students enrolled at USC will initially have an immunization hold on their account. The hold is removed when students are marked "Compliant" for required vaccines and the TB Screen Risk Form.
- Transfer students will need to request their immunization records from their previous school. Please note, SHS is not able to request records on behalf of the student.
- Students can contact their high school or primary health provider or pediatrician.
- SC residents can contact DHEC.
- Residents from other states, can contact their local health department.
- Students will log into sc.edu/MyHealthSpace.
- Click on Medical Clearances from the menu
- Click on Update to enter the immunization information
- Students will enter the name of the vaccine and the date(s) received and then click
- If the student chooses the incorrect vaccine, the staff at SHS can correct it.
- Students will need to upload a copy of their immunization record.
- This is required in order for SHS staff to verify the vaccines/dates entered by the student are correct.
- After the student clicks ‘update’ next to immunization record, a box will open with an option to upload documents.
Once the student has provided the necessary records, or signed the distance learner form (for on-line students only & must be completed each semester) their name will appear on an immunization clearance list.
Immunizations staff update the student's records and the immunizations hold is lifted in Self Service Carolina at midnight.
You can only be exempt from fulfilling immunization requirements if:
- You have a permanent medical contraindication.
- You have conflicting religious beliefs.
- You are enrolled in only distance education courses.
You will need to provide proof of your exemption status.
Contact Student Health Services for more information.