All paid employees of the University of South Carolina are covered by workers' compensation.
Workers' Compensation Provider
The State Accident Fund is South Carolina's workers' compensation insurance provider. Medical case management is provided by CompEndium Services, Inc.
Any accidental injury or occupational disease sustained by employees in the course of performing their job duties may be covered.
It is important that when you are injured on the job, you immediately report the injury or illness to your supervisor and CompEndium Services so that medical treatment may be authorized and a Workers' Compensation claim filed.
When An Injury Occurs
Call CompEndium for non-emergency injuries. In an emergency, visit a local emergency room or call 911.
Follow these five important steps to report your injury:
- Immediately report the injury to your supervisor. You and your supervisor call CompEndium together at 877-709-2667 to report the injury. If your supervisor is not available, call CompEndium with your HR Contact, or someone in the Central Benefits Office.
- Follow CompEndium’s Nurse Case Manager’s instructions for any authorized treatment and further reporting.
- If you think you will miss time from work beyond the date of injury, complete an Employee Injury Report [pdf] and select a Workers' Compensation Benefits Election (Option 1, Option 2, or Option 3). An explanation of these options are provided on the cover sheet of the Employee Injury Report. For further explanation, contact your HR Contact or the Central Benefits Office. Fax a copy to CompEndium at 877-710-2667, and email it to the Central Benefits Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If no medial treatment is needed, complete the Employee Injury Report [pdf] and check the report only box at the top of the form. Email a copy to the Central Benefits Office at email@example.com. The Central Benefits Office will file the report in case medical treatment is needed in the future.
- Have your supervisor complete a Supervisor's Report [pdf]. They will need to fax a copy to CompEndium at 877-710-2667 and email a copy to the Central Benefits Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Report the injury to CompEndium Services within 10 days of the date of injury.
Call the Central Benefits Office at 803-777-6650 if you have any questions.