How do I......
We have some short training videos which may help you make documents accessible per WCAG standards.
In order to connect to any shared server or folder from OFF CAMPUS, you must have BOTH Cisco VPN AND Multifactor Authentication (MFA) enabled.
1. Cisco VPN (Cisco AnyConnect). The VPN is free and can be downloaded from my.sc.edu from the Faculty/Staff tab. From there follow the purchase computer software link. Directions to install the software are available there as well.
IMPORTANT NOTE: For macOS™ ONLY: During the VPN install, on page six of the instructions (step 4) please uncheck all unnecessary software sans VPN at the top of the list. View image»
2. Multifactor Authentication (MFA) must be enabled. The best way to do this is by downloading and installing the free DUO app, from your respective app store either the Apple App Store™ or Google Play™ store.
1. Launch the Cisco VPN (Cisco AnyConnect)
2. Enter your USC username and password.
3. You will be sent a push to your phone for DUO MFA.
4. Once the VPN connects you will see a lock.
5. Then follow the steps to connect to XENOS while on campus.
Connect to XENOS server from the macOS™
(If you are off campus, first login to VPN and MFA.)
1. With the Finder selected, choose the Go Menu.
2. Choose the Connect to Server option. View image»
3. Enter the following information in the blank: afp://xenos.jour.sc.edu/Syllabi/
You can add the this to your favorites list by clicking the plus button. View image»
4. Click the connect button. IF you have never connected before, you will be asked if you really want to do this. Click connect again.
5. Enter the login information, which can be obtained from Pierre or Lauren.
Connect to XENOS server from Windows™ 8, 8.1, and 10
(If you are off campus, first login to VPN and MFA.)
1. In the search bar at the bottom type in This PC.
2. Choose This PC in the top of the list. View image»
3. Choose Map network drive.
4. Enter the following information: \\xenos.jour.sc.edu\Syllabi\
5. Click the box that says connect using different credentials. View image»
6. Then enter your username and password. (Depending on your configuration, you may need to scroll in the dialogue box to be able to use different credentials.) View image»
7. Do not check "remember my credentials."
OneDrive for Business is a file repository that allows you to store documents in the Microsoft Office 365 tenant in the cloud. It is part of our campus license that includes Office Pro Plus and Office online like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote. How to Video »
Why should I use OneDrive for Business instead of a different cloud document storage
product such as DropBox or Google Docs?
OneDrive for Business is covered by a Business Associates Agreement (BAA) and ensures the data is only stored in the continental United States as well as encrypted in transit and while stored. In other words, you can store FERPA, HIPAA and other forms of documents with PII data there safely. UTS centrally supports OneDrive for Business for cloud file storage and collaboration.
What is the difference between OneDrive for Business and OneDrive?
- OneDrive for Business is administered by University Technology Services, and it’s usage is covered under our enterprise license with Microsoft for faculty, staff and students.
- OneDrive is a consumer service provided and administered by Microsoft and is not covered under any contracts with USC.
- Faculty, staff, and students should use OneDrive for Business accessible through Office 365 for USC related documents.
- If you have a personal OneDrive account, it cannot be merged with your OneDrive for Business account, but you can still use both separately.
Note: Personal OneDrive is not covered under our BAA, is not encrypted and has less storage.
How can I use OneDrive for Business to collaborate?
- Create, upload, and share documents and folders with your colleagues and allow them to view, edit those documents or create new documents. You can also edit them at the same time in the web browser by using the online office products.
- OneDrive for Business will scan each document before uploading it to verify that it is not a known virus or malware distributor.
- Our current storage limits are set at 5 TB per user.
- OneDrive for Business is a recommended solution that has been vetted and security hardened for the protection of university data. However, the use of OneDrive for Business is not mandatory for university students, faculty, or staff.
Is data stored in OneDrive for Business backed up?
- Microsoft periodically backs up data stored in OneDrive for Business for disaster recovery purposes only.
- OneDrive for Business offers a self-restore Recycling Bin where you can restore deleted items for up to 90 days from the date of deletion.
- At this time UTS does not offer additional backup services for OneDrive for Business files.
- If you delete files and purge your OneDrive for Business Recycle Bin, your files CANNOT be recovered.
Can I pick and choose what to sync? Is there a folder limit when synchronizing folders on your desktop?
- You cannot pick and choose files in your OneDrive for Business space to sync locally. It is all or nothing.
- To help ensure successful synchronization of multiple files and folders to a local OneDrive for Business folder, add content to your local OneDrive for Business folder in chunks of 200 items or less.
- Restrictions and Limitations:
Do not store files that are constantly changing, such as Outlook pst files.
Microsoft Access files can be stored, but not accessed in OneDrive for Business, as they will be downloaded locally before running.
Complete the following online forms:
Complete the following online form: