- Before you start applying for internships, we strongly recommend fine turning your resume first! Check out the CIC Resume Checklist and Career Center sample resume to help you get started.
- The next step is to create your LinkedIn Profile to cement your online brand. Think of your LinkedIn profile as a digital resume. Use the CIC LinkedIn Checklist to make sure you're on the right path.
- Check CIC Student Newsletter and CIC Handshake emails (in your inbox every Monday at 10am) for internships and other opportunities. Please double check Spam and "Other" folders in your UofSC email.
- Start applying using the resources listed below, based on your major or area of interest. Keywords to use: 'Social Media', 'Communications", 'Public relations", "Marketing", "Writing" or "Journalism."
- What's the timeline? Most employers recruit interns 2-3 months in advance. For example, most summer internships will be posted in February or March. Corporations, print journalism outlets or some advertising agencies will sometimes recruit for summer interns November-January.
- Handshake: UofSC's Career Services Platform. All UofSC students already have a Handshake login. This can be a great place to start your search.
- Teamwork Online: Sports-related internships and jobs
- Journalism Jobs: Broadcast/Multimedia internships and jobs
- PRSA Job Center: Public Relations internships and jobs
- International Assocation of Business Communicators (IABC) Job Centre: Marketing and Communications Jobs
- Time on the Hill: Political Communications internships and jobs
- Daybook: Political internships and jobs
- American Advertising Federation (AAF) Jobs: Advertising internships and jobs
- The Dow Jones News Fund internship placement program that has placed students at the Wall Street Journal, BuzzFeed News, The Associated Press, NPR and more.
- The New York Times Institute is an intensive 2-week training program where students can build their skills and exposure in the field of journalism. NO COST to attend! Room, board and transportation are all covered!
- The New York Times Newsroom Fellowship is a very competitive, year-long internship intended for recent graduates, that incorporates speakers, feedback and training opportunities.
- The Chips Quinn Scholars for Diversity in Journalism provides training, mentoring and paid internships to college juniors, seniors, recent graduates and graduate students.
- Multicultural Advertising Internship Program (MAIP) offers a paid summer experience at elite Advertising Agencies such as 22squared, Edelman, Havas, FCB Health, Goodby, Silverstein and Partners and Mindshare.
CIC Partner Internships
Please note: sending an application does NOT guarantee selection. Top candidates will be notified if they are selected for an interview.
Past Partners include:
- The State Newspaper
- Colonial Life Insurance (Info Science only)
- Push Digital
- Gamecock Athletics
- Original Design (nonprofit started by Jay Urich, Marcus Lattimore)