- Must work 140 hours over the course of their selected term at the same organization
- Receive an internship offer within their field of study (related to their major), with minimal administrative duties (should be at least 80% communications work and no more than 20% administrative work)
- Should be assigned professional supervisor ideally in communications field
- Complete all necessary prerequisite courses BEFORE enrolling in JOUR 597
- All employer requirements can be found on the Information for Employers page. Feel free to forward this link to your employer
- Submit Internship Contract JotForm to be considered for academic credit (JOUR 597). See deadlines on right side of the page.
- Internship Instructor or Career Services Manager will review (may take up to one-two
- You CAN NOT register for this course without an override
- If your internship is approved, you will receive override and registration instructions
- Register for class via my.sc.edu
- Pay course fees before tuition payment deadline
- Copy of student's resume
- Proof of internship offer letter from supervisor or Human Resources (a letter or email)
- Job description detailing intern's expected work responsibilities and demonstrating the internship will consist of professional-level tasks in the student's field of study.
- Supervisor Signature Page
Please share this form with your supervisor to be signed electronically and upload a signed copy into the JOUR 597 Internship Contract linked above.
- If you are completing this internship in person, please confer with your employer to complete and sign the UofSC COVID-19 Waiver. Please upload this as an attachment in your Internship Contract.
- Public Relations
- JOUR 436
- JOUR 332
- Mass Communications
- JOUR 291
- Appropriate principles course for your major
- One SJMC course in the your subject/professional area
- Either JOUR 362 or JOUR 361
- Broadcast Journalism
- JOUR 361
- Advertising (Two of the following three classes)
- JOUR 220
- JOUR 416
- JOUR 421
- Visual Communications
- JOUR 346
Frequently Asked Questions
Why can't I register for this course?
Students must receive an override from Career Services before registering for the course. To be considered for an override, please complete the Internship Contract linked above and a member of the Career Services team will be in touch with you shortly.
I completed an internship in a previous semester. Can this count for credit?
No, you must complete the internship while enrolled in this course. Credit cannot be rewarded retroactively.
I have a paid internship. Can that count for credit?
Yes. We do not require internships to be paid or unpaid to be considered for credit.
How many credits can I earn for this course?
3 credit hours.
I am an SJMC Minor. Can I complete an internship for credit?
While we encourage all students to pursue internship experience while in college, SJMC minors cannot take JOUR 597 in order to receive credit for journalism or mass communications internships. Minors are unable to access and complete the prerequisite courses necessary for approval into this class.
What are the assignments for the course?
This course is Pass/Fail and all assignments must be completed to pass. The class does not meet weekly in Fall and Spring and is conducted primarily though Blackboard. Assignments include weekly journals, mid-semester evaluation, interview with supervisor, and end-of-semester evaluation.