Updated Feb. 13, 2023
The College of Information and Communications is a vibrant college with roots going back to 1923. We may be 100 years old, but we don’t look or act like it.
Our college is the largest it has ever been with over 100 faculty and full-time staff, and more than 2,500 students. We offer seven majors, five masters degrees, and two doctoral programs through our two nationally recognized and ranked schools that include Journalism and Mass Communications and Information Science. We’re working together to enhance existing programs and build new offerings that position our students for the future and further our reputation in core areas with emphasis on data, media and social impact — especially in the areas of mis/disinformation and emerging technology and practice. With talented faculty and staff, our college is well positioned to thrive for the next 100 years.
- Offer an unparalleled student experience
- Support both schools to be their best
- Enhance access and engagement across the college
- Build a reputation for interdisciplinary work around data, media and society—especially in the areas of mis/disinformation, and emerging technology and practice.
- Increase enrollment
- Increase external funding
Combining the fields of communications and information sciences, we research and teach the best contemporary methods to gather information, interpret data, derive understanding, articulate meaning, and create and share content so that our graduates can expertly convey ideas that both inform and empower a more discerning citizenry.
CIC is a model of interdisciplinary and experiential learning, honing innovative practices and applications that empower a more discerning citizenry.
At the University of South Carolina College of Information and Communications, we fulfill our mission and achieve our vision through our:
- Devotion to a high ethical standard
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Respect for universal access and freedom of speech
- Belief in a mission of service that engages and empowers communities
- Embrace of an innovative approach to all we do
In acting on these beliefs, we unceasingly seek to be:
- Visionary, enterprising and agile
- Honest, trusted and civically minded
- Passionate, dedicated, personal and collaborative