If you’re applying to one of our graduate programs, start by gathering your materials and information.
Complete the online Graduate School application. A School of Library and Information Science supplemental application is part of the application. It has an essay requirement. You must write your essay in response to the five statements included in the instructions.
To apply, you’ll need your official score from the GRE (the USC institution code is 5818) or MAT. International students whose native language is not English will need an official TOEFL or IELTS score.
- For students taking the GRE, scores need to be at least 294 (verbal + quantitative) with a score of at least 153 on the verbal section and 4.0 on the writing section.
- For students taking the MAT (must have been taken within the past five years), official scores need to be at least 410.
- For international students, an official TOEFL score of at least 570 on the paper-based test or 80 on the internet-based test is required, or an IELTS score of at least 6.5.
Other application requirements include:
- Your official academic transcripts from all schools attended — whether or not you earned a degree.
- A grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Two letters of recommendation. Letters should evaluate your undergraduate or graduate academic performance or your job performance. Letters from friends and relatives about your personal attributes will not be accepted. If you have questions, call the admissions coordinator at 803-777-3887 for guidance.
The application must be submitted online and requires an application fee. Your application will not be processed at the Graduate School without the $50 fee. It is best to pay the fee online with a credit or debit card. You must submit your application before submitting supporting documents. Your application will not be reviewed until everything is received. It’s best to arrange for document transfers and transcripts well in advance of the application deadline.