About the Program
The Academic Advisor Training and Certification Program is a multi-level program that covers seven different competency areas, which are aligned with the National Academic Advising Association Academic Advising Core Competencies Model and framework (NACADA, 2017). These competency areas include:
- Advising Practices at USC
- University Policies and Procedures
- Academic Programs and Requirements
- Advising Technology
- My USC Experience & Campus Resources
- Undergraduate Students and Special Populations
- Advising Profession and Practice
Advisors must complete online and/or in-person modules (which includes videos and quizzes) and meet specific criteria for each training level prior to obtaining certification. Academic advisors are required to complete the training program and receive certification.
View the Advisor Training & Certification Curriculum for an overview of all program components.
The following levels of the Academic Advisor Training and Certification Program are available to academic advisors by request.