The LEAD (Supervisory Essentials) program, is required for all supervisors of University staff hired into a supervisory position after January 1, 2010 (Policy HR 1.51 [pdf]). It consists of seven courses with a total of 16 online training hours.
Note: LEAD is only for supervisors of staff and HR Contacts. Non-supervisors are not permitted in the program.
- Class 1: Leading at UofSC/Writing Position Descriptions (2.5 hours)
- Class 2: Hiring at UofSC (2 hours)
- Class 3: Interviewing and Selecting Employees (2 hours)
- Class 4: Flexing Your Leadership Style (2 hours)
- Class 5: Setting Expectations and Coaching (3 hours)
- Class 6: Tackling Difficult Conversations (2 hours)
- Class 7: Managing Expectations (2.5 hours)
**LEAD courses must be completed in order. Attendance must be confirmed before participants will be able to register for the next course.**
Courses should be completed within 18 months of hire into a supervisory position.
Frequently Asked Questions
Common questions and answers about our LEAD, Managing High Performing Teams and Effective Communications certificate programs.
Note: Employees should always obtain supervisory approval to attend training courses offered through Organizational and Professional Development.