Digital Accessibility Best Practices
For most content creation at USC, the following best practices can help you start creating more accessible digital content; however, this is not an exhaustive list of best practices across every different platform.
- Use plain language and avoid jargon.
- Include meaningful alternative text for all images.
- Add audio descriptions to videos.
- Provide accurate captions and transcripts for videos, as well as transcripts for audio content.
- Use sufficient color contrast between text and its background.
- Do not rely on color usage alone to convey information.
- Label form fields appropriately.
- Order your headings in a nested hierarchy, and do not skip heading levels or leave empty headings.
- Write link text that describes the purpose of the link and makes sense when read out of page context.
- Make sure tables have headers and are used to present data rather than to establish a visual layout.