Watch the forum on our YouTube channel
Top photo: Annie Wu Henry (Fetterman for U.S. Senate, social media producer), V Spehar (Under The Desk News, creator and host) and Sarah Schauer (influencer and content creator)
Prominent social media influencers, subject matter experts and young people from all over the world are coming together at the University of South Carolina to discuss the role and impact of social media on today’s youth in an international forum hosted by the College of Information and Communications and the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization - UNESCO.
The public is invited to join the forum Friday, Feb. 3, in the Russell House Theater from 9 a.m. until noon to hear in-person and virtual students, experts and influencers speak about the impact social media has on our everyday lives and social media's influence on social change. The event will also be livestreamed from this page.
The sessions will be moderated by Kenneth Moton, former ABC correspondent and 2004 graduate of the School of Journalism and Mass Communications.
Voices of Youth - 9 a.m.
Featuring USC students and young adults from all across the world, including:
- Josalyn Sanders, USC student
- Christine Magoma, Kenya
- Estrella Luna Munoz, Mexico, project manager, trainer, researcher
Influencers and Content Creators - 10 a.m.
- Sarah Schauer, influencer
- Ross Mac, influencer
- Jenna Palek, influencer
- Aqsa Masrat, a 10-year-old Kashmiri influencer
- Jabari Evans, aka Naledge - the rapping half of the hip hop duo, Kidz in the Hall and USC assistant professor
- Olivia Carville, Bloomberg journalist
- Brooke Duffy, Cornell associate professor
Social Media and Social Change - 11 a.m.
- Annie Wu Henry, Fetterman for U.S. Senate, social media producer
- Shoshana Weissmann, director, Digital Media, R Street
- Leah Thomas, influencer, author, founder of Intersectional Envionmentalist and author of The Intersectional Environmentalist: How to Dismantle Systems of Oppression to Protect People + Planet
- Marc Owen Jones, Hamad Bin Khalifa University, associate professor, Qatar
- Alexandra Kuziva, Ukraine, United 24 Media
- V Spehar, Under the Desk News