Nine South Carolina nonprofits have been chosen to receive free marketing services through the 6th annual CreateAthon@USC, a 24-hour event where Gamecocks donate their time and talent to deserving organizations. An increase from the traditional seven nonprofits selected annually, 2018 will be the event’s largest effort to date.
This year’s recipients are:
- 12,000 Year History Park: A unique cultural and environmental resource in Cayce, South Carolina, where guided walking history tours bring alive 12,000 years of history, and visitors can experience 350 acres of natural beauty along the Congaree Creek.
- Acts Metro: This organization began as an academic mentoring service for children at Harbison West Elementary School. Since then, it has evolved to provide holistic care for families in crisis, as determined through social worker referrals, from all 22 Lexington Richland District 5 schools.
- Abundant Life Equipment Lending Library: This organization lends Columbia residents wheelchairs, standers, walkers, positioning equipment and more to assist in the physical therapy process.
- Camp T.A.L.K.: This is an inclusive social skills day camp for children ages 10 and older, focusing on students on the autism spectrum.
- East Point Academy: EPA is South Carolina's only Chinese immersion public charter school.
- Eau Claire Cooperative Health Ministry: South Carolina’s largest and most cost-effective community health center system, a 50-provider primary care group serving more than 58,000 individuals at all income levels.
- SC Respite Coalition: SCRC provides referrals and financing for South Carolina caregivers seeking respite care, keeping families together by protecting their health and mental health.
- Second Helpings: This nonprofit fights hunger by rescuing food from local food vendors and restaurants and delivering that food, on the same day, to over 60 agencies in Beaufort, Jasper and Hampton counties. These agencies, churches and soup kitchens provide food to approximately 45,000 people each week. Last year, Second Helpings rescued 2.8 million pounds of food.
- SodaCity Cirque: This Columbia-based circus arts and performance troupe consists of highly trained performers who develop, perform and produce dynamic productions and intimate events benefiting other nonprofits.
Advertising professor Karen Mallia and her fall Creative Leadership class will manage strategic communications planning, client relations, fundraising and the creative process. They will lead other Carolina student volunteers and professional mentors to give the selected nonprofits the strategic communications they need and could never otherwise afford — from logos and identities to advertising, posters, brochures, public relations and web strategies.
Want to help?
Creative professionals are now being recruited to serve as mentors during the 24-hour event that will take place November 2-3 in the School of Journalism and Mass Communications. All USC students are welcome to apply as well. Those who cannot volunteer are encouraged to donate food, beverages or funds to help support the event. Donation information is also available on the CreateAthon@USC website.
Missed your chance to apply?
CreateAthon@USC is an annual event. If you didn’t apply in time this year — or if you applied but weren’t selected —applications will open back up in the spring of 2019. Keep an eye on our website for more information.
The CreateAthon@USC management team includes School of Journalism and Mass Communications advertising professor Karen Mallia, visual communications instructor Scott Farrand, and sports and entertainment management associate professor Dr. Haylee Mercado.
Started in 2013, CreateAthon@USC is part of the CreateAthon™ on Campus network. Since the start of CreateAthon@USC, more than 300 students have helped 34 nonprofits with their marketing and creative services. The students lock themselves in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication building for 24-hours each fall to deliver their client free services including adverting and public relations strategy, graphic design, copywriting, web design, marketing collateral and even more.
CreateAthon™ was founded in Columbia, South Carolina by Teresa Coles and Cathy Monetti of Riggs Partners and is a 501(c)3. CreateAthon™ has generated $24 million in pro bono marketing services for more than 1,300 organizations throughout the U.S. and abroad.