There are several accounting scholarships awarded by the Moore School specifically for accounting majors. Each has its own set of criteria, found below. When completing the Moore School common application for scholarships, be sure to watch for questions pertaining to the specific scholarships for which you are applying.
Cherry Bekaert University of South Carolina Scholarship
- Be and accounting major in good academic standing
- Express an interest in audit or tax in public accounting
- Plan to graduate with 150 CPE-eligible credits between December 2021 and December 2022
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Apply for the Cherry Bekaert Connect Summer Leadership Conference
In partnership with Cherry Bekaert, faculty will select recipients for the $1,000 awards. Applications are due March 1, 2020.
J.T. Brittingham, Sr. Scholarship/Fellowship
Applicants for the J.T. Brittingham, Sr. Scholarship/Fellowship should be accounting majors (undergrad or grad) with GPAs of at least 3.0 and an expressed interest in public accounting careers, particularly in local or regional firms. Applicants should be interested in a long-term residency in the state of South Carolina and have demonstrated an engagement in extra-curricular activities and a commitment to community service. Candidates should also possess strong interpersonal skills, a professional demeanor, and other special skills and talents. They should have a familiarity with—and a connection to—the Midlands of South Carolina (i.e., Lexington, Richland, Calhoun, Fairfield, Kershaw, Orangeburg, Saluda and Sumter counties).
The William F. Putnam Scholarship
The William F. Putnam Scholarship is available to students who have completed ACCT 225 but have not yet started ACCT 401 at the time of application. The applicant must also be a full-time undergraduate student who has declared, or intends to declare, accounting as their major. The student must remain an accounting major to retain the scholarship. The student must have and maintain at least a 3.5 overall GPA.
Margaret N. Welling and Irvine T. Welling, Jr. Scholarship
The Margaret N. Welling and Irvine T. Welling, Jr. Scholarship will be awarded to an undergraduate accounting major chosen by the School of Accounting Scholarship Committee and a managing partner of Elliott Davis & Company, LLP, CPAs, Greenville, S.C. The recipient is not required to meet federal guidelines for need. Preference will be given to a resident of South Carolina.
Additional Scholarship Resources
There are a variety of scholarships available to accounting students and recommended by the South Carolina Association of Certified Public Accountants, each with their own set of criteria. Please click on the scholarship titles below for details on each.
- American Accounting Association
- AICPA Fellowship for Minority Doctoral Students
- AICPA Scholarships for Minority Accounting Students
- Accounting & Financial Women's Alliance
- American Women's Society of CPAs
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
- Discover Accounting
- John L. Carey Scholarship (AICPA)
- The Educational Foundation for Women in Accounting
- National Society of Accountants