- Colleges and Schools
- College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management
- Faculty and Staff
- Charles G. Partlow Ph.D.
Faculty and Staff
Charles G. Partlow, Ph.D., C.B.P.
|Title:||Professor of Strategic Leadership
|Department:||School of Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism Management
College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management
Ph.D., Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas, 1987
M.S., University of Southern Mississippi, Hattiesburg, Miss., 1981
B.S., Mississippi State University, Starkville, Miss., 1979
Charles G. Partlow has more than 40 years of experience in hospitality management, consulting and education. Partlow came to University of South Carolina as director of graduate studies in 1990 and served two consecutive terms as director of the School of Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism Management (HRTM) from 2004–2010. During that time, he was instrumental in developing HRTM's Master of International Hospitality and Tourism Management and the Ph.D. in Hospitality Management degree programs. He was responsible for raising more than $3 million in donations, gifts, endowments, scholarships and grants.
Partlow spent 10 years as consultant to Burgundy Group, Inc., a firm specializing in management education technologies for the hotel industry and hospitality education. He has been an active member of the National Restaurant Association, the American Hotel and Lodging Association and the International Council on Hotel, Restaurant and Institutional Education.
Partlow has published more than 70 research publications, books and book chapters. He served three consecutive terms as executive co-editor of the Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Education, which won the prestigious Gold Leaf Award.
In recent years, Partlow has focused on strategic leadership, teaching workshops and courses to industry professionals and students. He has made presentations across the U.S., from Carolina to California, and in countries around the world, from Aruba to India. He also recently became a Certified Bourbon Professional (CBP), and plans to participate in educational programs for HRTM’s emerging beverage management concentration.
- Strategy and Management / Leadership Practices in Hospitality
- HRSM 401 – Leadership Development in Hospitality, Retail, and Sport Management
- HRTM 490 – Hospitality Management Strategies
- HRTM 730 – Strategic Leadership in Hospitality
Honors and awards
- Ten service awards from UofSC Honors College, Office of Student Disability Services, and Division of Student Life
- Five service awards from the Educational Institute of the American Hotel and Lodging Association, Educational Foundation of the National Restaurant Association, Hospitality Information Technology Association, and Hospitality Finance and Technology Professionals