Junior Clarinet in B-flat: Audition Solo 1A, Andante cantabile
- crescendo m. 1 to m. 2 and taper to beat 3
- cresc beat 4 to downbeat of m. 4
- cresc m. 5 to downbeat of m. 6
- cresc until beat 3 of m. 7
- be sure to make beat 2 and 4 of m. 9 and 11 full quarter note values
- do cresc/decresc hairpins on both m. 10 and 12 into beat 3
- cresc m. 13 to beat 3 of m. 14
- place a tenuto on first 16th of m. 15
- cresc m. 17 followed by decresc in m. 18
- start cresc in m. 19 to continue to last measure of piece and do written decresc
- place tenuto on first 16th note of m. 27
Clinic Clarinet in B-flat: Audition Solo 2A, Larghetto e cantabile
- start the crescendo right away, so earlier where written in first measure
- cresc m.3 to m.4 and relax to beat 3
- breath after beat 3 of m. 4 and cresc to beat 3 of m. 8 with decresc to end of m. 9
- two measure cresc/decresc with m. 10 and 11
- same with m. 14 and 15
- take m. 21 down to one 'piano' dynamic
- do m. 27, 28 and 29 'forte', 'mezzo f', 'mezzo p'
- make two eighth notes at end 'piano' and the 'piano' before this 'mezzo p'
- same dynamic notes for 'b' ending as 'a' ending
Senior Clarinet in B-flat: Audition Solo 3A, Allegro agitato
- make opening dynamic 'piano' and second measure 'mezzo p'
- crescendo m. 3 to high G# in m. 4 with a decresc to m. 5
- again, make m. 5 'piano' and m. 6 'mezzo p'
- cresc m. 7 to 10
- diminuendo m. 15 to 'piano' in m. 19, followed by written cresc
- cresc. m. 22 to m. 25 followed by decresc to 'piano' in m. 26
- cresc m. 26 to m. 18 followed by decresc in m. 28 through 29
- breath in m. 34 after G# (only if needed)
- cresc m. 35, 37 and 39 with each tied quarter note starting a little softer
- breath where needed between these quarter notes, but not too often
- decresc m. 41 to m. 43
- start m. 44 at 'mezzo p', m. 45 at 'mezzo f'
- keep cresc going to a 'forte' to m. 52
- same with 'b' ending
Download these performance notes [pdf].