Due to health concerns raised by the spread of COVID-19, all face-to-face lessons, classes, rehearsals and events are cancelled. The School of Music has cancelled, adapted to online, or rescheduled public events, performances, in-person classes, labs and camps.
July 27–July 31, 2020
String Project will be offering virtual instruction. Sign up here.
The UofSC String Project summer program is open to all students who have completed one year of instruction on a string instrument. The String Project faculty include experienced teachers from the community and music education majors from the university.
String Project Summer Camp is different this year!
We know that camp looks a little different this year, but we are very excited to bring you exciting activities, videos, and challenges for you to accomplish from home. While we can’t be together to make music in person, it is our hope that you learn and grow as a musician just the same. Read more about it here.
How does it work?
Summer Camp will take place on Google Classroom and Zoom. Each day of camp at 9:00 a.m., we will release a brand-new list of activities, challenges, and all the necessary music and materials for you to work on throughout the day. You can complete these activities at any time during the day, with the option to join in on a few scheduled Zoom sessions throughout the week.
Camp is divided into five music content areas:
1) Orchestra Excerpts with Ms. Vogt will work through fun and interesting passages in age-appropriate orchestra music.
2) Scales and Etudes with Ms. Brown will help you build your skills by practicing the “fruits and veggies” of string playing.
3) Improvisation and Composition with Mr. Wyatt will give you the opportunity to show your creative side.
4) Music of the Big Screen with Mr. Sanchez will take you into the world of film and movie music. You might even get to watch a few of your favorites!
5) Encore Sessions will provide you with extra-curricular videos like instrument yoga, Alexander Technique (What’s that?? Come find out!), and other tricks and tips of the musician’s trade.
You will have two activity options in each category each day. One is required and one is extra – you get to choose which one interests you most. Each activity completed earns you a point, so completing all of them is a good idea! The campers at the end of the week with the most points will earn a special prize in the mail. All campers who complete any camp activities will receive a certificate at the end of camp.
In addition to your five music content areas, you will receive a list of fun musical challenges to try, like practicing outside or playing your music backwards. Each video you submit of your attempt at a challenge earns you a point as well!
We are so happy to have you here with us Our goals for you this week is that you will
build your skills on your instrument, learn some new music, try a couple wacky challenges,
and even watch some great movies! We hope you are looking forward to your summer camp
experience as much as we are.
Andrea Vogt, firstname.lastname@example.org
Emma Brown, Eb28@email.sc.edu
Matthew Wyatt, email@example.com
Tian Sanchez, firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline to register is May 31.
All instruction is online this summer.
$100 - Limited to the first 80 who enroll.
$125 - Space available afterwards
For more information: (803) 777-9568 or email@example.com.