The Carolina Colorguard is an integral visual component of the Carolina Band that exemplifies the band's spirit and intensity. The guard includes UofSC students of all backgrounds and majors who want to perform at the highest level. The Carolina Colorguard is the perfect combination of students from both rising and accomplished levels of guard performance. There is a renewed energy and focus within our guard, focused simultaneously on both tradition and innovation.
The Carolina Colorguard rehearses 90-minutes per day, Tuesday through Friday during the fall semester, with an additional hour sectional one night per week. Members are selected through a competitive audition process in the spring. Members participate in all rehearsals and performances and receive a scholarship for their participation in the Carolina Band.
2021 Colorguard Auditions
Due to unforeseen circumstances regarding the COVID-19 coronavirus, auditions for the 2021 Carolina Band Colorguard will be through video audition. Audition videos may be submitted any time after March 1. Prospective members submitting audition videos by April 18 will receive results by April 21. Audition videos received after April 18 will be considered, but results cannot be guaranteed prior to May 1. Auditions will continue until the section is full.
If you would like to audition for us:
1. Complete the registration form
2. Review the fundamentals and choreography to be included in your video
3. View the audition reference video
4. Use the audition video submission form to send us your YouTube video link(s)
Fundamentals and choreography to be included in audition videos:
- Fundamental 1: Drop Spins for 20 counts on the Right and Left sides
- Fundamental 2: Cones for 16 counts on the Right and Left sides
- Fundamental 3: Pull Hits 10 times on the Right and Left sides (straight up and down)
- Fundamental 4: Single tosses 5 times on the Right from the silk
- Fundamental 5: 45 tosses 5 times (as shown in the video)
- Fight Song Choreography (you will need to do the choreography with the music for timing)
- Go Carolina Choreography (you will need to do the choreography with the music for timing)
- 64 counts of your best show work. This can be work you have created yourself or a snippet from a previous show that demonstrates your personality and confidence as a performer.
Billy Pacifico is an active educator and choreographer currently living in Suwanee, Georgia. He is proud to be co-program coordinator and choreographer for the Carolina Colorguard. He is well known as the director and choreographer for Collins Hill HS. Under his direction Collins Hill HS was a WGI Scholastic A Class Finalist, a WGI Scholastic Open Class Finalist, and SAPA State Champions in 2010 & 2011.He is currently the Artistic Director for Edge Independent in Atlanta, Georgia. Billy Has been with the Divenire Winterguard out of Birmingham, Alabama for three seasons now and continues to work with the program. Other programs Billy currently works with include Mill Creek HS (WGI SA and Open class Finalist), Paramount A (WGI IA World Champion), and Paramount Open (WGI IO Finalist). Billy has also choreographed for Stoneman Douglas HS Open (WGI SO Silver Medalist), Stoneman Douglas World (WGI SW Finalist & BOA Atlanta Super Regional Finalist), Gainesville Independent Open (WGI Finalist), Fahrenheit World, Alliance of Miami World, Greater Johnstown (NY) Open, Western HS, Coral Glades HS, and many more.
As a performer Billy is an alumnus of The Cavalier Drum and Bugle corps in 2002. For his indoor experience Billy was accepted as a member of The Alliance of Miami Winter Guard. His membership at Alliance began during high school at the age of 15 and continued through his age out in 2002.
Katie Pacifico is co-program coordinator for the Carolina Colorguard. She is also currently the colorguard director of Lambert High School and Cambridge High School. Other schools and organizations she has taught include Collins Hill HS, Alpharetta HS, Stoneman Douglas HS, Paramount A, Paramount Open, Gainesville Independent, Alliance of Miami, Greater Johnstown (NY), Western HS, Coral Glades HS, Jupiter HS, Monarch HS, and many more. She is an alumnus of J.P Taravella HS, MEDEA, The Boston Crusaders, Premonition, and Alliance of Miami.
In her spare time Katie adds to her teaching experience through consultation work with various programs throughout Georgia as well as designing winterguard soundtracks.
Questions about the Carolina Colorguard?
Call the Band Office at 803-777-4278 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.