In the News
The staycation is back. How to make the most of staying home: Seattle Times (feat. Simon Hudson)
Life After Football: Catching up with South Carolina legend George Rogers: WACH (feat. alumnus George Rogers)
The Tipping Point for Innovations in Vacation Rental and Timeshare Technology: Hospitalitynet.org (feat. alumna Karen O’Neill)
Faculty / Staff Notes
- Kathy Kim received an Outstanding Reviewer award from Cornell Hospitality Quarterly.
- Mark Rosenbaum’s article, “Design for service inclusion: creating inclusive service systems by 2050,” published in Journal of Service Management, has been selected by the editorial team as Highly Commended in the 2019 Emerald Literati Awards.
- Steve Taylor’s textbook, Starting Your Career in Sport, Entertainment, and Venue Management, was published.
- Mark Rosenbaum presented “A Neuroscientific Perspective of a Shopper’s Response to the Presence of Others in Enclosed Shopping Malls: Exposing the Terror Genie,” at Frontiers in Services Conference in Singapore and 26th Recent Advances in Retailing and Consumer Services Conference in Estonia.
- Mark Rosenbaum and co-author German Contreras Ramirez had their paper “The Role of Cancer Resource Center Services on Men’s Health,” published in the Journal of Services Marketing.
- Alex Satchell (B.S. Retailing, 2018), now a graduate student at Regent’s University London, won the Regent’s / Bloomsbury Publishing Scholarship. Awarded to only one student each year, the $4,000 award includes an internship in Bloomsbury’s fashion books marketing department and a leading role in fashion-related events at Regent’s.
- Patrick DeLozier (B.S. Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism Management, 2001) joins Global Golf Advisors as director. Read article here.
- Karen Thal (Ph.D. Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism Management, 2015) awarded Faculty of Distinction Award at Fort Hays State University. Read article here. Thal earned a Ph.D. through the School of Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism Management at the University South Carolina, with her doctoral dissertation advancing the study and understanding of wellness tourism. Since joining FHSU, she has developed and taught courses that include health, wellness and sustainable tourism.
- Lindsay Cubbage (B.S. Hospitality Management, 2016) started a position as marketing coordinator at Ticketmaster.
- Haley Smith (B.S. Hospitality Management, 2014) started a position in premium services at Walt Disney World.
- Vishu Patel (M.S. Sport and Entertainment Management) was promoted to tour coordinator at TAG, a global events and group travel management company.
- Vica (Shobe) Bondurant (B.S. Sport and Entertainment Management) started a position as vice president of marketing and communications at Charlotte Center City Partners.
- Josh Mendelson (B.S. Sport and Entertainment Management) started a position as partnership marketing manager at Washington Redskins.
- Meghan Kehoe (B.S. Hospitality Management, 2012) started a position in marketing and social media at Georgetown Events.
- Erin Engebritson (B.S. Retail Management, 2009) started a position as director, marketing at Cushman & Wakefield.
- Chad Paynter (B.S. Retail Management, 1999) started a position as buyer at HT Hackney.
- Mark Johnson (B.S. Sport and Entertainment Management, 2012) started a position as live event promoter with the Harlem Globetrotters.
- Audrey Broyles (B.S. Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism Management, 2012, and M.S. International Hospitality and Tourism Management, 2014) started a position as senior manager, Learning and Development at Wyndham Hotels & Resorts.
- Ashley Cady (B.S. Tourism Management, 2015) was named treasurer of the board of the Columbia Museum of Art Contemporaries. Read article here.
- Thomas Rogers (M.S. International Hospitality and Tourism Management, 2019) started as an operation corporate management trainee at Hyatt Centric Park City in Park City, Utah.
- Charlee Wilkerson (B.S. Retail Management, Minor in Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism Management) started as the assistant buyer with Burlington at their headquarters in N.J.
- Dean Haemoon Oh visited with alumni Rebecca Duensing, Nick Karis, and Marianne Ballou on a recent trip to Las Vegas.
Rebecca Duensing, Sport and Entertainment Management, 2014,
Director of live events, Las Vegas, at Professional Bull Riders, LLC
Nick Karis, Sport and Entertainment Management, 2016 (2014 Alumni Society Fund Scholarship Recipient)
Content marketing coordinator, UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championships)
Marianne Ballou, Sport and Entertainment Management, 2018
Coordinator, Global Partnerships UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championships)