Posted on March 12, 2020
Dear HRSM community:
As you know, classes across the university will be canceled March 16–22, and class instruction will take place online March 23–April 3. These decisions were made by President Caslen in consultation with university senior leadership and with the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control and the Centers for Disease Control as we continue to monitor the spread of the Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19).
We ask that you all continue to be flexible as we navigate this rapidly changing situation, and we would like to share some information which pertains specifically to HRSM.
- The situation is evolving and much of it is beyond our control. Please check the university’s COVID-19 landing page for the latest updates. That page is the best way to stay up to date. University and college level social media will also provide updates.
- We also encourage you to contact us by phone, email or via social media with any questions or concerns. We are here to serve you, and we will address anything that comes up as quickly as possible.
- Guidelines for mitigating risk of contracting the virus are available online and at the university’s dedicated hotline, 803-576-8511.
- Advising services will be provided online for students.
- Check Blackboard for specific questions regarding your classes and how they will proceed online from March 23–April 3. Some, such as those involving labs, will be affected more than others.
- The CSRI Conference scheduled for April 1–3 has been canceled. Those scheduled to work the conference as a class assignment will be contacted by their instructor about adjustments.
- The Dean’s Lecture Series events scheduled for March 23–24 have been canceled.
- The Admitted Student Day scheduled for March 28 has been canceled.
- All Academic Information Sessions for prospective students through April 3 have been canceled.
- McCutchen House is closed for lunch and any other public events until further notice. Students taking McCutchen-based classes will be updated via Blackboard on adjustments.
- The Masters tournament and other internships are unaffected as of now and expected to continue as scheduled. Again, however, please check in regularly for possible changes.
- Maymester Study Abroad trips are unaffected as of now. However, students should check the UofSC Study Abroad page as well as the university’s COVID-19 page for updates.
As always, our priority is the health, safety and security of our students, faculty, staff and community. We are aware that some of the changes will be inconvenient, but we will all make the best of this difficult and unexpected situation.
We will be constantly vigilant. Again, please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or concerns.