- Colleges and Schools
- College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management
- Faculty and Staff
- Matthew T. Brown Ed.D
Faculty and Staff
Matthew T. Brown, Ed.D.
|Title:||Chair and Associate Professor
|Department:||Department of Sport and Entertainment Management
College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management
Carolina Coliseum, Room 2012
Ed.D., University of Northern Colorado, Greeley, Colo.
M.S., Western Illinois University, Macomb, Ill.
B.A., Truman State University, Kirksville, Mo.
A.A., Jefferson College, Hillsboro, Mo.
Matthew T. Brown has been at the University of South Carolina since 2005 where he teaches and researches in the areas of sport business and finance. Brown's research has led to publications in journals like the Journal of Sport Management, Sport Marketing Quarterly, Entertainment and Sport Law Journal, the International Journal of Sport Finance, and Sport Management Review. In addition, Brown has made more than 40 national and international research presentations. Brown also serves as a liaison between the department and the Lexington County Blowfish, a wood bat baseball team in the Coastal Plain League.
In addition to his work with the Blowfish, Brown has served as the chief financial officer of the Southern Ohio Copperheads and treasurer of the Board of Directors of the Southern Ohio Collegiate Baseball Club. He was also the assistant girls varsity and head girls J. V. tennis coach at Athens High School. In 2004, the team won its league championship. Brown also has worked in campus recreation, collegiate athletics (as both coach and administrator), and tennis club management. He served as the treasurer of the North American Society for Sport Management from 2006 to 2012. In 2003, Brown was named the Jefferson College Alumnus of the Year.
Honors and awards
- 2018 Garth Paton Distinguished Service Award, North American Society for Sport Management
- Sport finance
- Sport business management
- Facility funding
- Economic impact
- SPTE 201 – Introduction to Sport Management
- SPTE 440 – Sport and Entertainment Business and Finance
- SPTE 790 – Sport and Entertainment Finance
- Brown, M. T., Rascher, D. A., Nagel, M .S., and McEvoy, C. D. (2016). Financial Management in the Sport Industry (2nd Ed.). Scottsdale, Ariz: Holcomb Hathaway.
- Brown, M. T., Rascher, D. A., Nagel, M. S., and McEvoy, C. D. (2010). Financial Management in the Sport Industry. Scottsdale, Ariz: Holcomb Hathaway.
- Brown, M. T. (Ed.). (2000). Financial Administration of Sport Facilities and Programs. North Chelmsford, Mass: Anthology Pro.
Koesters, T. C., Nagel, M. S, and Brown, M. T. (2017). "Defending your sponsorship: The outlawing of 'Paid Patriotism.'" Sport Marketing Quarterly, 26, 121-124.
Blair, J., Titlebaum, P., Brown, M. T., and Dick, R. (2016). "Learn what the luxury suite customer wants." Applied Research in Coaching and Athletics Annual, 31, 224-248.
Koesters, T. C., Brown, M. T., and Grady, J. (2015). "You agreed to what? Implications of past agreements between donors and athletic support groups." Sport Marketing Quarterly, 24, 67-69.
Bernthal, M.J., Koesters, T. C., Ballouli, K., and Brown, M. T. (2015). "Motivations and fan engagement related to professional bass fishing spectatorship." Sport Marketing Quarterly, 24, 6-18.
Brown, M. T., and Koesters, T. (2014). "Beware of flying hotdogs: Inherent or unreasonable risks?" Sport Marketing Quarterly, 23, 47-49.
Titlebaum, P., Gillentine, A., Brown, M. T., and Miller, J., Koesters, T., and D’Amico, J. (2014). "Sponsorship activation in professional sport." International Journal of Sport Management, 15(2), 239-256.
Rascher, D.A, Brown, M. T., Nagel, M.S, and McEvoy, C.D. (2012). "Financial risk management: The role of a new stadium in minimizing the variation in franchise revenues." Journal of Sport Economics, 13(4), 431-450.
Rascher, D., Nagel, M., Brown, M., and McEvoy, C. (2011, September). "Free-ride, take it easy: An empirical analysis of adverse incentives caused by revenue sharing." Journal of Sport Management, 25(5), 373-390.
Brown, M. and Nagel, M. (2010, September). "Public recreation facility financing trends: Taxpayer backlash causes new models to emerge." Journal of Venue and Event Management, 2(1), 29-36.
Nagel, M. S., and Brown, M. T. (2009). "The business of Japanese baseball." Asian Sport Management Review, 3(1), 2-25.
Rascher, D. A., Brown, M. T., Nagel, M. S., and McEvoy, C. D. (2009). "Where did National Hockey League fans go during the 2004–2005 lockout? An analysis of economic competition between leagues." International Journal of Sport Management and Marketing, 5(1/2), 183-195.
- Music and Entertainment Industry Educators Association
- North American Association of Sports Economists
- North American Society for Sport Management
- Center for Exhibition Industry Research
- Columbia Inferno
- Moore & Van Allen PLLC
- Patriots Point Naval & Maritime Museum
- South Carolina National Heritage Corridor