- Colleges and Schools
- College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management
- Faculty and Staff
- Jessica Pack Chavis M.S.
Faculty and Staff
Jessica Pack Chavis, M.S.
|Department:||School of Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism Management
College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management
M.S., Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism Management, University of South Carolina
B.S., Business Administration, Management Concentration, Winthrop University
Jessica Chavis earned her master's degree in hotel, restaurant and tourism management from the University of South Carolina and her bachelor of science in business administration with a management concentration from Winthrop University. Prior to coming to UofSC, Chavis worked in the private club industry for approximately 10 years, specializing in food and beverage, event / wedding planning, staff development and employee engagement. During her time as a club manager, Chavis learned how imperative it is to provide quality service to her club members. To do that, she knew it was integral that her employees were treated like family and given all of the tools / resources to do their jobs to the best of their abilities. Engaged employees are more efficient, effective and happier at work.
Now as a senior instructor, Chavis brings that same engagement mentality into the classroom to create an environment that stimulates passion. Utilizing hands-on learning, in-class debates and small-group activities, course content is meant to develop the student to become a more well-rounded professional.
Chavis also uses her own club and event planning background to help ready students to work at a variety of golf clubs throughout Georgia and the Carolinas during the professional golf tournament season. Students get to experience what it is like to work at a mega-golf tournament, providing quality service to thousands of guests in a real-world environment.
Chavis serves as the group leader for the student chapter of Club Managers Association of America.
Honors and awards
- HRTM Teacher of the Year 2019
- Club Managers Association of America, Carolinas Chapter of CMAA
- HRTM 285 – Club Management
- HRTM 290 – Hospitality Internship
- HRTM 344 – Personnel Organization and Supervision
- HRTM 362 – Wedding Planning and Management
- HRTM 585 – Advanced Club Management
- HRTM 591 – Golf Tourism
- HRTM 592 – Golf Tourism, Consumer Services
- HRTM 593 – Golf Tourism, Supervisory Skills
- HRTM 594 – Golf Tourism, Leadership Skills
Areas of expertise
- Club Management
- Quality Customer Service
- Large Golf Tournament Staffing and Employee Preparation
- Employee Engagement
- Event Management and Planning