Faculty and Staff
Miyoung Jeong, Ph.D.
|Title:||Associate Professor / Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism Management
|Department:||School of Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism Management
College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management
Carolina Coliseum 1022-B
Ph.D., School of Hospitality Management, Pennsylvania State University
M.S., Hotel Administration, University of Nevada - Las Vegas
B.S., English Literature and Language, Kyungbook National University
Miyoung Jeong, Ph.D., joined the School of Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism Management (HRTM) at the University of South Carolina in August, 2015, as an associate professor. Prior to coming to the School of HRTM, she was on the faculty of the Hospitality and Tourism Management Department in the Isenberg School of Management at the University of Massachusetts Amherst where she served as a Ph.D. coordinator. For nine years, she also worked in the Hotel, Restaurant, and Institution Management Department at Iowa State University as an assistant / associate professor.
Her research work has been published in hospitality, tourism and general business journals and presented in various national / international conferences. Dr. Jeong also published book chapters and an edited book. During her academic career, she has won prestigious awards such as the W. Bradford Wiley Memorial Research Awards two times in 2008 and 1997, Best Article of the Year by International Journal of Hospitality Management in 2004, and numerous best paper awards at conferences. She has also won various competitive research grants from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, American Hotel and Lodging Educational Foundation, UNLV’s Caesars Hospitality Research Center, and other non-profit organizations.
Dr. Jeong has two children and loves to shop with her daughter. Her family is athletic and often participates in 5K runs.
- Associate Professor and Ph.D Coordinator, Hospitality and Tourism Management, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Jan. 2009 – Aug. 2015
- Associate / Assistant Professor, Hotel, Restaurant, and Institution Management, Iowa State University, Aug. 1999-Dec. 2008
- Assistant Professor, Hospitality Management, University of Mississippi, Aug. 1998 – May 1999
Honors and awards
- Best Paper of the 2015 Meeting Professionals International / World Education Congress. 2015.
- Best paper of the 2010 Global Marketing Conference. 2010.
W. Bradford Wiley Memorial Best Research Paper of the Year Award. 2008 and 1997.
- Best Article of the Year published in International Journal of Hospitality Management in 2003. 2004.
- Best Paper of the Year at I-CHRIE. 2003 and 2000.
- Customer reviews
- Social media
- Mobile technology
- Revenue management
- Self-service technology
- Website quality
- Hospitality operation
- Consumer online behavior
- HRTM 364 - Conference and Meeting Planning
- HRTM 564 - Advanced Meeting Management
- HRTM 584 - Tourism Information Technology Issues
Jeong, M., and Oh, H. (In press). Business-to-business social exchange relationship beyond trust and commitment. International Journal of Hospitality Management.
Lee, S., and Jeong, M. (In press). Enhancing customers’ positive responses: Applying sensory marketing to the hotel website. Journal of Global Scholars of Marketing Science.
Jeong, M., and Lee, S. (In press). Do customers take care types of hotels’ service recovery efforts? An example of consumer-generated review sites. Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Technology.
Lee, S., and Jeong, M. (In press). Role of brand story on narrative engagement, brand attitude, and behavioral intention. Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Technology.
Jeon, M., and Jeong, M. (2017). Customers’ perceived website service quality and its effects on e-loyalty. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management. 29(1), 438-457.
Lee, M., Jeong, M., and Lee, J. (2017). Roles of negative emotions in customers’ perceived helpfulness of hotel reviews on a user-generated review website: A text mining approach. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management. 29(2), 762-783.
Shin, J. T., Jeong, M., Oh, H., and Tierney, E. (2016). Exploring determinants of meeting planners’ commitment to the business relationship with destination management companies. Journal of Convention & Event Tourism. 1-24.
Lee, S., Jeong, M., and Jeon, M. (2016). Effects of e-servicescape on customers’ psychological behaviors: An example of bed and breakfast websites. Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Technology. 7(4).
Jeong, M., Lee, M., and Nagesvaran, B. (2016). Employees’ use of mobile devices and their perceived outcomes in the workplace: A case of luxury hotel. International Journal of Hospitality Management. 57, 40-51. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijhm.2016.05.003.
- Group Travel Disruption: Risks and how they are mitigated. Funded by Incentive Research Foundation, $30,350. Co-PI.
- Developing a New Business Model for DMCs by Redesigning Their Value Propositions. Funded by Incentive Research Foundation ($30,336) Co-PI. April. 2014 – Dec. 2015.
- SMARTs Mass School Meals Accountability Responsibility Training. Funded by U.S. Department of Agriculture. ($370,743), Co-PI. Sept. 2010 – Nov. 2012 .
- High Tech vs. High Touch in Resort Operations: Implications for Customer Service and Satisfaction. Funded by Caesars Hospitality Research Center. University of Nevada, Las Vegas, NV. ($38,000), Co-PI. Jul. 2008 – May 2009.
- Pop Up Retail's Acceptability as an Innovative Business Strategy and Enhancer of the Consumer Shopping Experience. Funded by International Council of Shopping Centers. ($14,549), Co-PI. May 2006 – Apr. 2007.
- Strengthening Competitive Advantage of Rural Businesses with E-commerce and Experience Economy. Funded by Southern Rural Development Center. ($15,000), PI. May 2005 – Apr. 2006.
- An Innovative Rural Entrepreneurship Model for Family and Consumer Sciences Curriculum. Funded by United States Department of Agriculture Cooperative State Research, Education, Extension Service: Higher Education Challenge Grant. ($100,000). Co-PI. Aug. 2004 – Aug. 2007.
- International Council on Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Education (ICHRIE)
- American Hotel & Lodging Association (AH&LA)
- Meeting Professionals International (MPI)
- Co-editor of Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Education