- Colleges and Schools
- College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management
- Faculty and Staff
- William R. Knapp F.M.P., C.E.C.,C.C.A.,M.i.H.T.M.
Faculty and Staff
William R. Knapp, F.M.P., C.E.C., C.C.A., M.I.H.T.M.
|Department:||School of Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism Management
College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management
Ph.D., Candidate, Iowa State University
M.I.H.T.M., University of South Carolina, 2008
B.S., Pennsylvania State University, State College, Penn. 1993
A graduate of the Pennsylvania State University, William Knapp has been working in the foodservice industry for more than 25 years in management positions, both front and back of house. Emphasizing his skills in the kitchen, Knapp has been the executive chef at a number of hotels, free-standing restaurants, and private clubs along the eastern shore. He has also been the recipient of numerous local "best of" awards from area publications. Knapp currently teaches quantity food production, advanced cooking and service, club management, food purchasing, and food system sustainability. His current focus of interest in the culinary field involves hospitality operations, sustainability, and food history.
Professional certifications and affiliations
- Certified Executive Chef, American Culinary Federation—one of the highest certifications awarded to chefs, which recognizes the experience and expertise that tests for proficiency in 24 categories, from the basic to the culinary master.
- Certified Culinary Administrator, American Culinary Federation
- Certified Food Service Management Professional—the highest certification awarded by the National Restaurant Association, shows proficiency in educational and hospitality operations.
- Certified ServSafe Instructor, National Restaurant Association
- Certified ManageFirst Instructor, National Restaurant Association
- Certified Hospitality Educator, American Hotel and Lodging Educational Institute
- Executive Chef and Instructor, University of South Carolina, Columbia, 2004 to present
- Sous Chef, The Palmetto Club, Columbia, S.C., 2001-2005
- Executive Chef, The Faculty Club, University of South Carolina, Columbia, 2000-2001
- Executive Chef, The Wilcox Inn, Aiken, S.C., 1996-1999
- Executive Chef, The Chamberlain Hotel, Fort Monroe, Va., 1998 (concurrent with The Wilcox Inn)
- Executive Chef/Assistant General Manager, Tiffany Dining Place and Gazebo, Centre Square, Penn., 1994 -1995
- Menu Management
- Restaurant Operations
- Food Safety and Sanitation
- Food Systems and Sustainability
- The Culinary and Wine Institute at The University of South Carolina, Instructor
- The National Restaurant Association, ProStart Management, Instructor
- The National Restaurant Association, ManageFirst, Instructor
- Compiled two cookbooks featuring recipes used at the McCutchen House
- Contributing writer to the American Culinary Federation (Midlands Chapter) newsletter
- Panelist to help develop first state-commissioned "green" certification
Honors and awards
- Named to The National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation's panel for reviewing ServSafe testing
- Named to The National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation's panel for reviewing ManageFirst testing
- Instructor, the Culinary and Wine Institute at the University of South Carolina
- Instructor, the National Restaurant Association ProStart Management
- Instructor, the National Restaurant Association ManageFirst