Faculty and Staff
Drew Martin, Ph.D.
|Department:||School of Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism Management
College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management
Ph.D., University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu, Hawaii
M.A., University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu, Hawaii
M.B.A., Pacific Lutheran University, Tacoma, Wash.
B.A., Pacific Lutheran University, Tacoma, Wash.
Drew Martin received his Ph.D. and M.A. from the University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu, and his MBA and B.A. from Pacific Lutheran University in Tacoma, Wash. Prior to taking his current position, Martin was professor of marketing (2004-2016) and interim dean (2016-17) at University of Hawaii at Hilo. Previously, Martin worked with the College of Business Administration, North Dakota State University (1999-2004), Lundquist College of Business, University of Oregon (1997-99), and School of Economics, Niigata University, Japan (1995-97), served as senior associate editor of buyer behavior, Journal of Business Research (2012-15), and associate editor for the International Journal of Culture, Tourism and Hospitality Research (2007-13).
Martin likes to swim and occasionally he can be spotted doing so at the Strom Thurmond Wellness and Fitness Center.
Honors and awards
- The 2013 Michel Laroche Outstanding Journal of Business Research Associate Editor Award, only the third recipient in 20 years
- Best Conference Paper Honorable Mention Award, 2012 Global Marketing Conference, Seoul, Korea, July 19-21, 2012
- Best Track Chair Award, 2012 Global Marketing Conference, Seoul, Korea, July 19-21, 2012
- Track Best Paper Award, American Marketing Association Summer Educator’s Conference, Sports Marketing Track, San Francisco, California, August 5-7, 2011
- Emerald Publishing’s Outstanding Reviewer Award, International Journal of Culture, Tourism, and Hospitality Research, 2008
- Best Paper Award: 5th Bi-Annual Symposium of the International Society of Culture, Tourism, and Hospitality Research, June 2007
- HRTM 450 - Hospitality and Tourism Marketing
- HRTM 740 - Service Management in Hospitality
- HRTM 750 - Hospitality Marketing Strategy
- Customer decision making
- Destination branding and promotions
- Customer experience
Kubickova, M. & Martin, D. “Exploring the relationship between government and destination competitiveness: the TALC model perspective.” (Forthcoming). Tourism Management.
DiPietro, R. B., Martin, D. & Pratt, T. “Surfacing nonconscious memories to understanding employee motivations in fine dining restaurants.” (In press). International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management.
Martin, D., Palakshappa, N. and Woodside, A. “Consumer metaphoria: Uncovering the automaticity of animal, product/brand, and country meanings.” (2019). Australasian Marketing Journal 27, 113-125.
Merchant, A., Rose, G., Martin, D., and Choi, S. (2017). “Cross-cultural folk-tale-elicitation research on the perceived power, humanistic and religious symbolisms, and use of money.” Journal of Business Research, 74, 113-119.
Chaney, D. and Martin, D. (2017), “Contributions of new institutional theory to understanding event tourism loyalty.” Journal of Travel Research, 56(4), 507-520.
Sun, P., Li, R., and Martin, D. (2016), “Balancing Confucius and innovation: Trust’s moderating effect on intra-firm conflict and innovation performance.” Journal of Global Scholars of Marketing Science, 26(3), 227-247.
Martin, D. (2015), “My traditional Japanese Wedding?” International Journal of Culture, Tourism
and Hospitality Research, 9(4), 423-432.
Sirakaya-Turk, E., Ekinci, Y. and Martin, D. (2015), “The efficacy of shopping value in predicting destination loyalty.” Journal of Business Research, 68(9), 1878-1885.
Martin, D., and Aluri, A. (2015), “Etic interpreting of emic reports of tourism behavior: Cross-cultural introspections of Hawaii.” International Journal of Tourism Anthropology, 4(1), 46-66.
- Affiliate faculty of the Business Research Institute, Daito Bunka University, Tokyo, Japan
- Research and Development Consultant Committee, College of Management, National Chiayi University, Taiwan, Republic of China
- Affiliate faculty, Center for Japanese Studies, University of Hawaii at Manoa
- Board member, South Carolina Restaurant and Lodging Association
- Member, International Society of Culture, Tourism, and Hospitality Research
- Microsoft, Business Solutions Division, Fargo, N.D.
- City of Kobe, Trade, Exhibition, and Tourism Bureaus, Kobe, Japan