Faculty and Staff
Joohyung Park, Ph.D., M.S.
College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management
Carolina Coliseum, Room 4005-E
Ph.D., Purdue University, West Lafayette, Ind.
M.S., Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul, South Korea
B.S., Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul, South Korea
Joohyung Park is an associate professor in the Department of Retailing at the University of South Carolina. Park joined the department after receiving her Ph.D. in consumer behavior from Purdue University. Before pursuing her Ph.D., Park worked full time as a marketing researcher and a brand consultant for six years in Seoul, where she gained hands-on experience in various industries. Currently, she teaches courses in e-commerce, retail strategy, and retail entrepreneurship at USC. She is the first instructor to incorporate the Wix Certificate Program in her e-commerce course.
Park's research interests include consumer engagement in service failure and recovery, small business and entrepreneurship, CSR issues from both corporate and consumer perspectives, and technology in the omnichannel retail environment. She has published her research in leading journals such as Journal of Business Research and Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, and was honored to receive several best paper awards from nationally and internationally renowned marketing and retailing conferences.
- Service failure and recovery
- Multi-channel retailing
- Consumer's technology use
- Consumer emotion
- Socially responsible consumer behavior
- RETL 116 – Fashion Through the Ages: 1800 AD to the Present
- RETL 268 – Principles of Fashion Merchandising
- RETL 310 – Internet Retailing
- RETL 351 – Small Business Organization and Operation
- RETL 551 – Advanced Retail Business Planning
- RETL 725 – Shoppers in the Retail Environment
- RETL 747 – Competitive Strategies in Retailing
- RETL 799 – Thesis Preparation
Honors and awards
- Best Conference Paper Award (2015). American Marketing Association (AMA)/American Collegiate Retailing Association (ACRA) Triennial Conference, Miami, Fla.
- Best Journal Article Award (2014). Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal, Apparel, Textiles, and Merchandising track.
- Best Paper Nominee (2014). American Collegiate Retailing Association (ACRA) Annual Conference, Dallas, Texas.
- Best Paper Awards (2011). American Collegiate Retailing Association (ACRA) Annual Conference, Boston, Mass.
- Best Multimedia Presentation Award (2010). Global Marketing Conference (GMC), Tokyo, Japan.
- Graduate Fellowship (1997). Sookmyung Women’s University, Seoul, Korea.
- The 2nd Foundation of Sookmyung Scholarship (1996). Sookmyung Women’s University, Seoul, Korea.
Refereed journal articles
Park, J., and Campbell, J. M. (2018). "U.S. small business’s philanthropic contribution to local community: Stakeholder salience and social identity perspectives." Journal of Nonprofit & Public Sector Marketing, 30(3), 317-342.
Kim, J., Park, J., and Glovinsky, P. L. (2018). "Customer involvement, fashion consciousness, and loyalty for fast-fashion retailers." Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management: An International Journal, 22(3), 301-316.
Brosdahl, D. J. C., Burnsed, K. A., Park, J., and Cohen, A. (2017). "Reflections in the store window: U.S. women’s self-comparisons to mannequins." Journal of Business Diversity, 17(3), 34-46
Park, J., and Campbell, J. M. (2017). "US SMEs’ corporate citizenship: collectivism, market orientation, and reciprocity." Journal of Small Business & Entrepreneurship, 29(2), 120-139.
Campbell, J. M., and Park, J. (2017). "Extending the resource-based view: Effects of strategic orientation toward community on small business performance." Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 34, 302-308.
Razalan, D. M. Bickle, M.C., Park, J., and Brosdahl, D. (2017). "Local retailers’ perspectives on social responsibility." International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management, 45(2), 211- 226.
Park, J., Chung, T-L., Hall-Phillips, A., and Anaza, N. A. (2016). "Loyalty to social ventures in social media: The role of social cause involvement, identification and commitment." Journal of Nonprofit and Public Sector Marketing, 28(3), 185-208.
Campbell, J. M., and Park, J. (2016). "Internal and external resources of competitive advantage for small business success: Validation across family ownership." International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business, 27(4), 505-524.
Hall-Phillips, A., Park, J., Chung, T. L., Anaza, N. A., and Rathod, S. R. (2016). "I (heart) social ventures: Identification and social media engagement." Journal of Business Research, 69(2), 484-491.
Park, J. and Ha, S. (2016). "Co-creation of service recovery: Utilitarian and hedonic value and post-recovery responses." Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 28(1), 310-316.
Chung, T-L., Ananza, N. A., Park, J., and Hall-Phillips, A. (2016). "Who's behind the screen? Segmenting social venture consumers through social media usage." Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 28(1), 288-295.
Park, J. and Ha, S. (2014). "Understanding consumer recycling behavior: Combining the theory of planned behavior and the norm activation model." Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal, 42(3), 278-291.
Park, J-K., Han, H-J. and Park, J. (2013). "Psychological antecedents and risk on attitudes toward e-customization." Journal of Business Research, 66(12), 2552-2559.
Park, J. and Ha, S. (2012). "Understanding pro-environmental behavior: A comparison of sustainable consumers and apathetic consumers." International Journal of Retail and Distribution Management, 40, 388-403.
Park, J., Snell, W., Ha, S., and Chung, T. (2011). "Customers' post-adoption of m-services: Interest in future m-services based on consumer evaluations of current m-services." Journal of Electronic Commerce Research, 12, 165-175.
Ha, S., Chung, T., Hamilton, J., and Park, J. (2010). "Moving beyond acceptance: Exploring determinants of consumer use of mobile services." International Journal of Mobile Marketing, 5, 30-42.