Students can win cash awards for inventive music endeavors
In 2016 the USC School of Music’s Spark program will be awarding cash awards to music
students pursuing inventive music endeavors. Spark’s Creativity in Music Awards is
to support music students who pursue inventive projects that expand boundaries, take
chances, and help students discover their personal voice.
The Creativity in Music Awards is designed to support proposals whose objectives are to:
• Cultivate and recognize creativity within our student population
• Marry artistic excellence with creative potential
• Foster a safe space for innovation and experimentation
• Develop critical/independent thinking
• Develop professional written communication skills
• Broaden student understanding of “success”
• Explore beyond traditional music school requirements
A total of six awards will be distributed, ranging from the first prize awards of $1,500 to three runner-up awards of $250. Open to all full-time music majors, undergraduate and graduate; proposals may come from individuals or teams. Each proposal is judged on merit alone by a panel of judges consisting of national emeritus music faculty familiar with principles of music leadership and creativity.
Information sessions will be held Monday, September 14 and Wednesday, September 16 at 1:10 p.m. in the School of Music Recital Hall. More information on the awards can be found on the Spark Laboratory website.