For more information about our programs, including Open Houses, please visit our webpage for future students.
The American Speech-Language-Hearing Association requires that all applicants have completed, as part of their undergraduate preparation, academic coursework in each of the following areas: a biological science, a physical science (chemistry or physics), a behavioral and/or social science, and statistics. Applicants with a background in speech-language pathology (SLP) should apply for fall term while those without an SLP academic background should apply for the summer term.
You must apply online through CSDCAS. All information about the application process and deadline
(December 15) are available on the CSDCAS site. In addition to the CSDCAS application fee, the University requires a supplemental
application fee of $40. This will be paid as part of the CSDCAS application process.
Please note there are two listings for USC in the CSDCAS portal, so you must carefully
choose whether you are applying for the MS-Res (on-campus, face-to-face) OR the MS-DE (distance education, part-time). You may not apply to both.
The doctoral program has rolling admissions and prospective doctoral students will apply through the USC Graduate School. Applicants must apply by January 15th to be considered for funding for the following Fall semester. Prospective Ph.D. students should contact the department to discuss their proposed concentration area (i.e., the area in which they intend to conduct research). A personal interview is required. Prior to admission, the applicant must obtain a commitment from a COMD faculty member agreeing to serve as the applicant’s research mentor and direct his/her dissertation.
Application Requirements Include:
- Official transcripts from all schools or colleges previously attended
- Grade point average of 3.00/4.00 or higher
- For the MS program, submission of GRE scores is optional. Institution code - 5821 (U of South Carolina CSDCAS)
- For the PhD program, submission of GRE scores is optional. Institution code - 5818 (U of South Carolina Columbia)
- Three letters of recommendation (at least two from former professors)
- The only exception to this requirement can be made for students who have not taken college-level classes within the past 10 years. Such students may send up to three letters from clinical advisors and/or employers that can speak to their relevant professional development and skills (MS).
- Resume or CV (PhD only)
- Written personal statement, including answers to two essay questions (MS); Statement of Purpose and Objectives describing your academic and research interests, relevant work experiences, academic/professional goals and objectives (PhD)
Additional Program Requirements
- All master’s degree students (MS) must complete a program of study in accordance with the academic and clinical requirements of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA).
- Students must fulfill the residency and other general requirements established by The Graduate School of the University of South Carolina and in accordance with ASHA guidelines for training.
- No foreign language is required for the master’s degree programs.