Skip to Content

Arnold School of Public Health

Financial Aid

There are several types of financial assistance that can be used to support the cost of a graduate degree: Student Loans, Graduate Assistantships, and Scholarships and Fellowships. An article appearing in the ASHA Leader discusses changes in the Federal Student Loan Program that may benefit graduates and graduate students. Additional information may be available from the University’s Financial Aid Office or from the USC Graduate School.

 South Carolina Teach Loan Program

The South Carolina Teacher Loan Program loans money to speech-language pathology students who intend to work in the South Carolina public schools upon graduation. The loan is forgiven at the rate of 20% per year of public school employment (i.e., 5 years of school employment means the loan is forgiven).

Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program

The Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program forgives the remaining balance on your Direct Loans after you have made 120 qualifying monthly payments under a qualifying repayment plan while working full-time for a qualifying employer. 

Direct Subsidized Loans

Direct Subsidized Loans (sometimes called Subsidized Stafford Loans) are federal student loans borrowed through the Direct Loans program that offer undergraduate students a low, fixed interest rate and flexible repayment terms. Demonstrated financial need is required to qualify, and the federal government pays the interest when you are in school at least half-time, during the grace period, and during periods of authorized deferment.


Widely known as SC-CREATE, the mission of the program is to prepare highly qualified professionals who will serve the needs of students with disabilities in SC public and charter schools, and SCDE-operated programs. Through a collaborative partnership with local school districts and leading SC colleges and universities, SC-CREATE under­writes tuition and textbook costs for full-time employees in South Carolina schools completing coursework required for add-on, alternative, or initial licensure in special education and advanced level certification in speech-language pathology. 

Federal Work Study

The Federal Work-Study (FWS) Program provides funds for part-time jobs which allow students to earn money needed to pay for educational expenses. Work-Study awards are a form of federal financial aid. Positions are available both on and off campus. Students are encouraged to find positions that provide work experience in their field of study or provide valuable service to the community. Follow the link to view advertised jobs

Graduate Assistantships

A graduate assistant works part-time in a variety of capacities, depending on the nature of the funding. The student may be hired by a faculty member to perform research related to a grant-funded project or by a department to assist in various clerical duties. Graduate assistants must be full-time students and are considered either quarter-time (10 hours of work per week) or half-time assistants (20 hours of work per week). However, given the extensive scheduling of clinical practicum in the Master of Science (Residential) program, COMD students are discouraged from pursuing a 20-hour assistantship. The only exception would be if the assistantship permitted the flexibility to complete work requirement during weekends. Importantly, while the amount of money paid by an assistantship varies slightly depending on the source of funding, assistantships allow all students to pay lower in-state tuition rates, regardless of their residency.

These Graduate Assistantships may be found by contacting directly faculty members having active research funding, or departments on campus. Information may also be available from our Graduate Admissions Counselor, Teresa Boyett

Challenge the conventional. Create the exceptional. No Limits.