Degrees, Certificates, and Concentrations
This minor is designed to help mitigate the shortage of trained professionals by building students' competenceies in the areas of food system transformation, environmental sustainability, nutritional health improvement and social justice.
This certificate prepares students with the knowledge and skills that are necessary to conduct international work on a variety of different topics, such as food and nutrition.
Several different programs for undergraduate and graduate degrees allow/require cognates, or a grouping of related courses, such as nutrition. For more information contact your advisor.
Nutrition and Related Courses
Summer 2020 Nutrition Course Offerings
|HPEB 502: Applied Aspects of Human Nutrition|
|NURS 220: Clinical Nutrition (Nursing Majors Only)|
|BIOL 425: Plant Form and Function|
Practicum opportunities are available in the field of nutrition. Visit MySPH for more information on current available opportunities. For more information on previous practicum sites, check out this table.
- Performance Nutrition Intern - Duties include supporting the Performance Nutrition staff members in daily activities to assisting and educating the student-athletes to reaching their peak performance through nutrition, assisting the Performance Nutrition staff in creating and promoting educational materials that will serve to enhance the student-athletes performance, observing and assisting with conducting consults, team talks, body composition testing, hydration testing, and cooking demos.
Interested in working with an Affiliated Scholar of the Nutrition Consortium? Fill out the following form and we will notify you of next steps to take.
When opportunities become available, they will be shown here.
This position is supported by funds from Dr. Chen Liang. The GRA will provide research support to projects on medical informatics and public health informatics. The GRA will assist in a wide range of research activities including study design, implementation, data analysis, scientific writing/publication/presentation. For more information and to apply, visit MySPH.
Completed Dissertations & Theses
- Alrafas HRD. Beneficial effects of resveratrol against colitis and colorectal cancer mediated by the host microbiome, epigenome, and immune response. [Order No. 13813732]. University of South Carolina; 2019.
- Bader J. Macrophages and associated inflammation differentially impact obesity, colorectal cancer and obesity-enhanced colorectal cancer. [Order No. 13895723]. University of South Carolina; 2019.
- Basnet S. Role of resources for care in improving care behaviors, Children’s nutritional status and early childhood development in low- and middle-income countries. [Order No. 13809446]. University of South Carolina; 2019.
- Botchway MO. Social networks, social support, and contextual factors that affect blood glucose control among individuals with type 2 diabetes mellitus in urban ghana. [Order No. 13898803]. University of South Carolina; 2019.
- Boutté AK. Examining the relationships between stress, depressive symptoms, and the neighborhood food environment on diet quality among racially-diverse pregnant women in south carolina. [Order No. 13809025]. University of South Carolina; 2019.
- Choi RH. Effect of TRB3 on skeletal muscle mass regulation and exercise-induced adaptation. [Order No. 13807079]. University of South Carolina; 2019.
- Crimarco A. The plant-based and soul-full study (PASS): Examining how owners of local vegan soul food restaurants promote the consumption of vegan foods in the african american community. [Order No. 13881116]. University of South Carolina; 2019.
- Josey MJ. Disparities in colorectal cancer: Measuring spatial accessibility, screening, and surveillance outcomes in south carolina. [Order No. 13885158]. University of South Carolina; 2019.
- Lauffer B. Education for sustainability: The effectiveness of a place based environmental education unit in food waste reduction on the environmental awareness of fourth grade students. [Order No. 22584429]. University of South Carolina; 2019.
- Miranda K. Role of epigenome and microbiome in endocannabinoid-mediated regulation of inflammation during diet-induced obesity. [Order No. 13899242]. University of South Carolina; 2019.
- Nguyen HTM. Parenting and child self-regulation as mechanisms for the relationship of household food insecurity with child dietary behavior. [Order No. 13856471]. University of South Carolina; 2019.
- Patel C. Co-occurrence and non-overlap among behavioral and health-related problems in preschool children. [Order No. 13900945]. University of South Carolina; 2019.
- Pourhoseini S. The health implication and application of silver and iron oxide nanoparticles. [Order No. 13903366]. University of South Carolina; 2019.
- Yaussy SL. The intersections of health and wealth: Socioeconomic status, frailty, and mortality in industrial england. [Order No. 13811137]. University of South Carolina; 2019.
- Carson MS. The contribution of adipose tissue from ovariectomized mice to colon cancer. [Order No. 13901936]. University of South Carolina; 2019.
- Davis R. Potassium fertilization effects on yield for wheat, soybean, and corn grown in coastal plain soils. [Order No. 22584577]. University of South Carolina; 2019.
- Loncar H. Associations among parenting style and parental feeding practices on adolescent self-efficacy for diet and obesity in african american adolescents. [Order No. 13857943]. University of South Carolina; 2019.