Maternal, Infant, and Child Nutrition
Preventing Childhood Obesity
Cutting Edge Research
Researchers in the Consortium work to understand how nutritional components interact with a variety of contexts, including political, physical, economic, and social structures.
- Biggs BK, Wilson DK, Quattlebaum M, Kumar S, Meek A, Jensen TB. Examination of Weight-Loss Motivators and Family Factors in Relation to Weight Management Strategies and Dietary Behaviors among Adolescents with Obesity. Nutrients, 2021, 13, 1729. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu13051729.
- Draper CL, Morrissey E, Younginer N. Health Clinic Readiness to Implement Nutrition Supports in Partnership with SNAP-Ed. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jneb.2021.03.008.
- Eustis SJ, Turner-McGrievy G, Adams SA, Hébert JR. Measuring and Leveraging Motives and Values in Dietary Interventions. Nutrients. 2021; 13(5):1452. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu13051452
- Frongillo EA, Leroy JL. Evaluation of complex agriculture, nutrition, and health interventions leading to sustainable healthy diets. Journal of Nutrition nxab126, 2021. doi.org/10.1093/jn/nxab126
- Hunt ET, von Klinggraeff L, Jones A, Burkart S, Dugger R, Armstrong B, Beets MW, Turner-McGrievy G, Geraci M, Weaver RG. (2021). Differences in Proportion of Children Meeting Behavior Guidelines During Summer & School & by Socioeconomic Status and Race. Obes Sci Pract. https://doi.org/10.1002/osp4.532
- Karami A, Dahl AA, Shaw G Jr., Valappil SP, Turner-McGrievy G, Kharrazi H, Bozorgi P. Analysis of Social Media Discussions on (#)Diet by Blue, Red, and Swing States in the U.S. Healthcare. 2021; 9(5):518. https://doi.org/10.3390/healthcare9050518
- Nguyen T, Hajeebhoy N, Li J, Do CT, Mathisen R, Frongillo EA. Community support model on breastfeeding and complementary feeding practices in remote areas in Vietnam: implementation, cost, and effectiveness.International Journal for Equity in Health 20:121, 2021. doi.org/10.1186/s12939-021-01451-0
- Nguyen PH, Kachwaha S, Pant A, Tran LM, Avula R, Young MF, Ghosh S, Sharma PK, Escobar-Alegria J, Forissier T, Patil S, Frongillo EA, Menon P. Strengthening nutrition interventions in antenatal care services affects dietary intake, micronutrient intake, gestational weight gain, and breastfeeding in Uttar Pradesh, India: Results of a cluster-randomized program evaluation. Journal of Nutritionorg/10.1093/jn/nxab131, 2021.
- Tinago CB, Frongillo EA, Warren AM, Chitiyo V, Cifarelli AK, Fyalkowski S; Pauline V. Development and assessment of feasibility of a community-based peer support intervention to mitigate social isolation and stigma of adolescent motherhood in Harare, Zimbabwe. Pilot and Feasibility Studies. 7:110, 2021. doi.org/10.1186/s40814-021-00832-0
- von Klinggraeff L, Dugger R, Okely A, Lubans D, Jago R, Burkard S, Weaver RG, Armstrong B, Beets MW. Early-stage Studies to Larger-scale Trials: Investigators’ Perspectives on Scaling-Up Childhood Obesity Interventions. Europe PMC, doi: 10.21203/rs.3.rs-514474/v1.
- Weaver RG, Hunt ET, Armstrong B, Beets MW, Brazendale K, Turner-McGrievy G, Pate RR, Youngstedt SD, Dugger R, Parker H, von Klingraeff L, Jones A, Burkhart S, Ressor-Oyer L. COVID-19 Leads to Accelerated Increases in Children's BMI Z-Score Gain: An Interrupted Time Series Study. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2021.04.007
- Wende ME, Alhasan DM, Hallum SH, Stowe EW, Eberth JM, Liese AD, Brenaman CB, McLain AC, Kaczynski AT. Incongruency of youth food and physical activity environments in the United States: Variations by region, rurality, and income. Prev Med. 2021;148:106594. doi:10.1016/j.ypmed.2021.106594
- "Building the capacity of South Carolina community pharmacies to intervene on the
social determinants of health" - Indira Gutierrez, BA, Alexandra Scott, BS, Healther McKenzie McNabb, Trista Pfeiffenberger, Brian Clark,
Deborah Bowers, Patrick Brown, Troy Trygstad and Spencer Moore, PhD
- "Does prenatal physical activity modify the association between prenatal stress and
postpartum depression?" - Sabrina Karim, MBBS, MPH, PhD(c), Zaixiao Zhang, MD, MPH, Chelsea Richard, MSPH,
PhD(c), Matthew Lohman, PhD, MHS and Jihong Liu, ScD
- "Examining the relationship between perceived neighborhood characteristics and physical activity behavior among Asian Americans in an urban environment" - Aisha Bhimla, MPH, David B. Sarwer, PhD, Levent Dumenci, PhD, Lois A. Butcher- Poffley, MEd, PhD, Kevin A. Henry, PhD, Andrew T. Kaczynski, PhD and Grace X. Ma, PhD
- "Identifying targets for health promotion efforts designed to reduce food insecurity" - Milen Embaye, MPH, Darcy Freedman, MPH, PhD, David Ngendahimana, MS, PhD, Bethany Bell, PhD, MPH, Hannah Zaim, MPH, Ashley Banks, MPH and Deena Chisolm, PhD
- "Implementing diabetes and heart disease education and management programs in high-burden, underserved South Carolina counties" - Jennifer Mandelbaum, MPH, Kristian Myers, MPH, CHES, Tramaine McMullen, MPH, PhD, Courtney Brightharp, MPH and Kelly Kavanaugh, MPH, CHES
- "Movers and churners: Residential relocation and enrollment discontinuity in a state Medicaid system" - John Stewart, PhD, MPH, Janice Probst, PhD, Ana Lopez De Fede, PhD, Sudha Xirasagar, MBBS, PhD and James W. Hardin, PhD
- "Severe maternal morbidity and poor birth outcomes are interconnected: A call for a paradigm shift" - Hoa Nguyen, PhD, Sarah Gareau, DrPH, MCHES and Ana Lopez De Fede, PhD
- "The national physical activity plan: A framework for pursuing the physical activity guidelines for americans" - Russell Pate, PhD
- Bhandari S, Frongillo E, Suwal R, Gupta AS, Tiwari NP, Cunningham K. Sustaining Agriculture-Nutrition Interventions: Analysis of Determinants of Village Model Farmer Active Engagement in Nepal. Current Developments in Nutrition. 2020;4(Supplement_2):811-811. doi:10.1093/cdn/nzaa053_016.
- Iruhiriye E, Olney D, Frongillo E. Coherence Among Sectors and Stakeholders Differentiates Districts in Rwanda That Did
and Did Not Improve Child Stunting. Current Developments in Nutrition. 2020;4(Supplement_2):845-845. doi:10.1093/cdn/nzaa053_050.
- Jackson E, Liese A, Pihoker C, et al. Association Between Household Food Security and Disordered Eating Behaviors Among
Young Adults with Diabetes: The SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth Study. Current Developments in Nutrition. 2020;4(Supplement_2):1419-1419. doi:10.1093/cdn/nzaa061_047.
- Martínez-Jaikel T, Jr. EF, Blake C, Fram M, Murillo-Castro A, Esquivel-Solís V. Promoting Co-Responsibility in the Household and Self-Care Through an Intervention
for Food-Insecure Women with Excess Body Weight in Costa Rica. Current Developments in Nutrition. 2020;4(Supplement_2):236-236. doi:10.1093/cdn/nzaa043_087.
- Mendes FDC, Thawer S, Shivappa N, Hebert JR, Burney PGJ, Garcia-Larsen V. Dietary Inflammatory Index (DII®) and Lung Function in Adults from Ten European Countries
– Evidence from the GA2LEN Follow-Up Survey. Current Developments in Nutrition. 2020;4(Supplement_2):1393-1393. doi:10.1093/cdn/nzaa061_021.
- Monalisa N, Frongillo E, Blake C, Steck S, Dipietro R. Food-Choice Values of Elementary School Children and Strategies Used to Influence
Mothers’ Food Purchasing Decisions. Current Developments in Nutrition. 2020;4(Supplement_2):720-720. doi:10.1093/cdn/nzaa051_017.
- Nguyen H, Frongillo E, Fram M. Adolescent Students Experiencing Hunger Consume Less Healthy Diets: Evidence from
the Global School-Based Student Health Survey in 95 Countries. Current Developments in Nutrition. 2020;4(Supplement_2):873-873. doi:10.1093/cdn/nzaa053_078.
- Reyes L, Frongillo E, Blake C, Moore S, Gonzalez W, Bonvecchio A. Role of Social Networks in Maternal Food Choice for Children Ages 1 to 5 Years Old
in Rural Mexico. Current Developments in Nutrition. 2020;4(Supplement_2):897-897. doi:10.1093/cdn/nzaa053_102.
- Turner D, Krisanits B, Frye C, Nogueira L, Schuster R, Ford M, Omonefe O, Steck S, Peterson L, Lilly M, Thomas C, Ahmed M, Findlay V. Consumption of Dietary Advanced Glycation End Products Promotes Prostate Tumor Growth
by Creating a Tumor Enhancing Stromal Microenvironment. Current Developments in Nutrition. 2020;4(Supplement_2):359-359. doi:10.1093/cdn/nzaa044_058.
- Warren A, Constantinides S, Frongillo E, Blake C. Stakeholder Engagement Strategies for Policy and Programmatic Uptake: Lessons from the Drivers of Food Choice Competitive Grants Program. Current Developments in Nutrition. 2020;4(Supplement_2):920-920. doi:10.1093/cdn/nzaa053_125.
- Adams SA, Truman SC, Babatunde O, Felder TM, Eberth JM, Heiney SP, Alvarado CR, Hebert JR. South Carolina's National Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program narrows
the gap in South Carolina breast cancer disparities. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention. 2020. doi:10.1158/1538-7755.DISP18-B008.
- Aguilar DR, Steck SE, Lin H-Y, Su L. Dietary folate and prostate cancer tumor aggressiveness differences between African
Americans and European Americans. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention. 2020. doi:10.1158/1538-7755.DISP19-PR14.
- Alvarado CR, Truman SC, Babatunde O, Heiney SP, Escareno JM, Adams SA. The mediating effect of hormone therapy compliance in the relationship between race
and survival among breast cancer patients in South Carolina: A causal mediation analysis. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention. 2020. doi:10.1158/1538-7755.DISP18-C019.
- Babatunde OA, Adams SA, Eberth JM, Felder TM, Moran R, Truman SC, Alvarado CR, Hebert JR. Effect modifiers of surgery and adjuvant hormone treatment delays among patients diagnosed
with breast cancer in South Carolina. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention. 2020. doi:10.1158/1538-7755.DISP18-B075.
- Blinka M, Cromo M, Houston JF, Dignan M, Vanderford N, Evers BM, Bowie J, Dobs A, Hebert JR, Felder T, Anderson R. Results to date: Efforts to increase cancer health disparities training in Geographic
Management of Cancer Health Disparities Program Region 1 North. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention. 2020. doi:10.1158/1538-7755.DISP18-A068.
- Felder TM, Heiney SP, Rubin L, Friedman DB, Franco R, Hebert JR, Ford ME. “ ‘She was like, “I'm done. I'm not taking this anymore’ ”: Health care provider perspectives
about breast cancer survivors' nonadherence to adjuvant endocrine therapy. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention. 2020. doi:10.1158/1538-7755.DISP18-A069.
- Heiney SP, Truman SC, Babatunde O, Alvarado CR, Adams SA. An investigation of travel distances for breast cancer treatment among a racially
and socioeconomically diverse cohort. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention. 2020. doi:10.1158/1538-7755.DISP18-B012.
- Omofuma OO, Steck SE, Troester M, Olshan A. Meat and fish intake and the risk of breast cancer in the Carolina Breast Cancer Study
(CBCS). Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention. 2020. doi:10.1158/1538-7755.DISP18-C043.
- Omofuma OO, Turner DP, Peterson LL, Merchant AT, Zhang J, Steck SE. Dietary advanced glycation end-products (AGEs) and risk of breast cancer in the Prostate,
Lung, Colorectal and Ovarian Cancer Screening Trial (PLCO). Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention. 2020. doi:10.1158/1538-7755.DISP19-C033.
- Peres LC, Hebert JR, Qin B, Guertin KA, Bandera EV, Shivappa N, et. al. Dietary inflammatory potential prior to diagnosis and risk of all-cause mortality
among African-American women with ovarian carcinoma. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention. 2020. doi:10.1158/1538-7755.DISP18-C044.
- Ranganathan R, Hung P, Adams SA, Hair NL, Bailey SS. Legislation by states and its impact on factors causing divergence in HPV vaccination
coverage: Analysis of 2013-2017 National Immunization Survey - Teens (NIS-TEENS). Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention. 2020. doi: 10.1158/1538-7755.DISP19-A123.
- Truman SC, Babatunde O, Alvarado CR, Heiney SP, Sellner JE, Reiss KE, Adams SA. Predictors of nonadherence to adjuvant hormonal therapy among breast cancer patients. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention.2020. doi: 10.1158/1538-7755.DISP18-B016.
Policy and Practice Briefs
The Consortium was established in 2003 with a mission to create a local, state-wide, national, and global presence that establishes the University as a national leader in nutrition by engaging with community partners, other research institutions, public agencies, and professional organizations. Through this series, the Consortium provides objective, thoughtful analysis on current nutrition-related policy and practice issues from a public interest perspective.