Current Novel Research Efforts
- Improving the growth, develoment, feeding care, and survival of infants and young children globally.
- Understanding how to advance programs and policies for improving nutrition and development.
Associated Affiliate Scholars
- Blake, Christine, Ph.D., RD .
- Frongillo, Edward, Ph.D.
- Ghattas, Hala, Ph.D.
- Hebert, James, Ph.D.
- Larson, Leila, Ph.D., MPH
- Liese, Angela, Ph.D.
- Liu, Jihong, Sc.D.
Arellano-Gómez LP, Jáuregui A, Nieto C, Thrasher JF, Davis RE, et al. Effects of front-of-package caffeine and sweetener disclaimers in Mexico: Cross-sectional results from the 2020 International Food Policy Study. Public Health Nutr. Published online October 2, 2023:1-30. doi:10.1017/S1368980023002100
- Basnet S, Frongillo EA, Nguyen PH, Moore S, Arabi M. Factor structure and equivalence of maternal resources for care in Bangladesh, Vietnam, and Ethiopia. Maternal and Child Health Journal, 2021; https://doi.org/10.1007/s10995-020-03100-4.
- Basnet S, Frongillo EA, Nguyen PH, Moore S, Arabi M. Maternal resources for care are associated with child growth and early childhood development in Bangladesh and Vietnam. Child Care Health Dev. 2021;10.1111/cch.12911. doi:10.1111/cch.12911
- Bhandari S, Frongillo EA, Suwal R, Schreinemachers P, Gupta AS, Blake CE, Tiwari NP, Cunningham K. Sustaining agriculture and nutrition interventions: Continued engagement of village model farmers in Nepal. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 2022. https://doi.org/ 10.1177/03795721221106588
- Bhawra J, Kirkpatrick SI, Hall MG, Vanderlee L, Thrasher JF, Hammond D. Correlates of Self-reported and Functional Understanding of Nutrition Labels across Five Countries in the 2018 International Food Policy Study. The Journal of Nutrition, 2022; nxac018, https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/nxac018.
- Blake CE, Frongillo EA, Warren AM, Constantinides SV, Rampalli K, Bhandari S. Elaborating the science of food choice for rapidly changing food systems in low-and middle-income countries. Global Food Security. 28:100503, 2021. doi.org/10.1016/j.gfs.2021.100503.
Blake CE, Monterrosa EC, Rampalli KK, Khan, ANS, Reyes LI, Drew SD, Frongillo EA, et al. Basic human values drive food choice decision-making in different food environments of Kenya and Tanzania. Appetite. 2023;188:106620. doi:10.1016/j.appet.2023.106620
- Botchway M, Davis RE, Appiah LT, Moore S, Merchant AT.The Influence of Religious Participation and Use of Traditional Medicine on Type 2 Diabetes Control in Urban Ghana. J Relig Health (2021). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10943-021-01187-9
Campbell JM, Kubickova M. Governmental Support for Agritourism Engagement by SMEs: A Resource-Based View of Honduras. Journal of International Food & Agribusiness Marketing. 2023;0(0):1-22. doi:10.1080/08974438.2023.2213228
- Carducci B, Oh C, Roth DE, Neufeld L, Frongillo EA, L’Abbe MR, Fanzo J, Herforth A, Sellen DW, Bhutta ZA. Gaps and priorities in assessment of food environments for children and adolescents in low- and middle- income countries.Nature Food 2:396-403, 2021. doi.org/10.1038/s43016-021-00299-5
Cheshm NK, Ataie-Jafari A, Eghtesadi S, Nikravan A, Shivappa N, Hebert JR. The Association between Dietary Inflammatory and Obesity Indices in University Students in Tehran. Journal of Nutrition and Food Security. Published online 2022. doi:10.18502/jnfs.v8i1.11766
- Cohen CR, Weke E, Frongillo EA, et al. Effect of a Multisectoral Agricultural Intervention on HIV Health Outcomes Among Adults in Kenya: A Cluster Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Netw Open. 2022;5(12):e2246158. doi:10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2022.46158
- Constantinides SV, Turner C, Frongillo EA, Bhandari S, Reyes LI, Blake CE. Using a global food environment framework to understand relationships with food choice in diverse low- and middle-income countries. Global Food Security, 2021, 100511.
- Contreras-Manzano J, Nieto C, Jáuregui A, Pérez C, Vanderlee L, Barquera S, Sacks G, Adams J, Thrasher JF, Hammond D. Perceived availability of healthy and unhealthy foods in the community, work, and higher education settings across five countries: Findings from the International Food Policy Study 2018. The Journal of Nutrition. https://doi.org/10.17863/CAM.82749
Cunningham K, Pandey Rana P, Rahman MM, Sen Gupta A, Manandhar S, Frongillo EA. Text messages to improve child diets: Formative research findings and protocol of a randomised controlled trial in Nepal. Maternal & Child Nutrition. n/a(n/a):e13490. doi:10.1111/mcn.13490
Dramis A, Mejía R, Thrasher JF, Barrientos-Gutiérrez I, Sargent J, Pérez A. The predictive validity of self-rated alcohol susceptibility to alcohol use in early adolescents in Latin America. Alcohol (Hoboken). Published online July 31, 2023. doi:10.1111/acer.15158
- Drew SD, Blake CE, Reyes LI, Gonzalez W, Monterrosa EC. Attributes of parenting identities and food practices among parents in Nairobi, Kenya. Appetite. 180, 106370.
- Frongillo EA, Escobar-Alegria JL. Advancing use of nutrition knowledge to improve practice by policy and program communities in India during a political transition. Current Developments in Nutrition. nzab120, 2021. doi.org/10.1093/cdn/nzab120
- Hammond D, Vanderlee L, White CM, Acton R, White M, Roberto C, Cameron A, Sacks G, Kirkpatrick S, Dubin J, Adams J, Jauregui A, Thrasher JF. (2022). The Conceptual Framework for the International Food Policy Study: Evaluating the population-level Impact of Food Policy. J Nutr https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/nxac042
- Hess SY, McLain AC, Frongillo EA, Afshin A, Kassebaum NJ, Osendarp SJM, Atkin R, Rawat R, Brown KH. Challenges for estimating the global prevalence of micronutrient deficiencies and related disease burden: A case study of the Global Burden of Disease Study. Current Developments in Nutrition. nzab141, 2021.
- Iruhiriye E, Olney DK, Frongillo EA, Niyongira E, Nanama S, Rwibasira E, Mbonyi P, Blake CE. Translation of policy for reducing undernutrition from national to sub-national levels in Rwanda. Food Sec. (2022). https://doi.org/10.1007/s12571-022-01271-2
Isanovic S, Constantinides SV, Frongillo EA, Bhandari S, Samin S, Kenney E, Blake CE, et al. How Perspectives on Food Safety of Vendors and Consumers Translate into Food-Choice Behaviors in 6 African and Asian Countries. Current Developments in Nutrition. 2023;7(1):100015. doi:10.1016/j.cdnut.2022.100015
- Jalal CSB, Frongillo EA, Warren AM, Kulkarni S. Subjective well-being and domestic violence among ultra-poor women in rural Bangladesh: Findings from a multifaceted poverty alleviation program. Journal of Family and Economic Issues; 2021; doi.org/10.1007/s10834-021-09801-4
Jamaluddine Z, Safadi G, Irani A, Ghattas H, et al. Inequalities in Wellbeing in Lebanese Children and Different Refugee Subpopulations: A Multidimensional Child Deprivation Analysis. Child Ind Res. Published online June 6, 2023. doi:10.1007/s12187-023-10040-2
- Jáuregui A, White CM, Vanderlee L, Hall MG, Contreras-Manzano A, Nieto C, Sacks G, Thrasher JF, Hammond D, Barquera S. Impact of front-of-pack labels on the perceived healthfulness of a sweetened fruit drink: a randomized experiment in 5 countries. Public Health Nutrition. 2021:1-36. doi:10.1017/S1368980021004535
- Jensen ML, Gonzalez W, Bolaños-Palmieri C, Monge-Rojas R, Frongillo EA. Implementation of a regulatory food policy to reduce availability of energy-dense foods in Costa Rican high schools. Public Health Nutr. 2021;1-13. doi:10.1017/S1368980021003013
Kim SS, Sununtnasuk C, Berhane HY, Frongillo EA, et al. Feasibility and impact of school-based nutrition education interventions on the diets of adolescent girls in Ethiopia: a non-masked, cluster-randomised, controlled trial. The Lancet Child & Adolescent Health. 2023;7(10):686-696. doi:10.1016/S2352-4642(23)00168-2
- Kachwaha S, Nguyen PH, Tran LM, Avula R, Young MF, Ghosh S, Forissier T, Escobar-Alegria J, Sharma PK, Frongillo EA, Menon P. Specificity Matters: Unpacking Impact Pathways of Individual Interventions within Bundled Packages Helps Interpret the Limited Impacts of a Maternal Nutrition Intervention in India. J Nutr. 2021;nxab390. doi:10.1093/jn/nxab390
- Kase BE, Frongillo EA, Isanovic S, Gonzalez W, Wodajo HY, Djimeu EW. Determinants of egg consumption by infants and young children in Ethiopia. Public Health Nutrition. 2022:1-24. doi:10.1017/S1368980022001112
- Kulkarni S, Frongillo EA, Cunningham K, Moore S, Blake CE. Gendered Intrahousehold Bargaining Power is Associated with Child Nutritional Status in Nepal. J Nutr. 2021;nxaa399. doi:10.1093/jn/nxaa399
- Laar A, Addo P, Aryeetey R, Agyemang C, Zotor F, Asiki G, Rampalli KK, Amevinya GS, Tandoh A, Nanema S, Adjei AP, Laar ME, Mensah K, Laryea D, Sellen D, Vandevijvere S, Turner C, Osei-Kwasi H, Spires M, Blake C, Rowland D, Kadiyala S, Madzorera I, Diouf A, Covic N, Dzudzor IM, Annan R, Milani P, Nortey J, Bricas N, Mphumuzi S, Anchang KY, Jafri A, Dhall M, Lee A, Mackay S, Oti SO, Hofman K, Frongillo EA, Holdsworth M. Food environment research priorities for Africa: Lessons from the Africa Food Environment Research Network. Advances in Nutrition 2022.
- Larson LM, Braat S, Hasan MI, et al. Preanalytic and analytic factors affecting the measurement of haemoglobin concentration: impact on global estimates of anaemia prevalence. BMJ Global Health 2021
Larson LM, Feuerriegel D, Hasan MI, et al. Effects of iron supplementation on neural indices of habituation in Bangladeshi children. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Published online December 23, 2022. doi:10.1016/j.ajcnut.2022.11.023
Larson LM, Feuerriegel D, Hasan MI, et al. Supplementation With Iron Syrup or Iron-Containing Multiple Micronutrient Powders Alters Resting Brain Activity in Bangladeshi Children. The Journal of Nutrition. Published online December 28, 2022. doi:10.1016/j.tjnut.2022.12.026
- McRell AS, Fram MS, Frongillo EA. Adolescent-reported household food insecurity and adolescents’ poor mental and physical health and food insufficiency in Kenya. Current Developments in Nutrition, 2022; nzac117, https://doi.org/10.1093/cdn/nzac117
Mejía R, Barrientos-Gutiérrez I, Pérez A, Sargent JD, Dramis A, Thrasher JF. The predictive validity of self-rated alcohol susceptibility to alcohol use in early adolescents in Latin America. La validez predictiva de la susceptibilidad al alcohol autoevaluada al consumo de alcohol en adolescentes tempranos en América Latina. Published online July 2023. doi:10.1111/acer.15158
- Miller JD, Frongillo EA, Weke E, Burger R, Wekesa P, Sheira LA, Mocello AR, Bukusi E, Otieno P, Cohen CR, Weiser SD, Young SL. Household water and food insecurity are positively associated with poor mental and physical health among adults living with HIV in western Kenya. Journal of Nutrition. nxab030, 2021. doi.org/10.1093/jn/nxab030.
Mwangi MN, Mzembe G, Ngwira CC, Larson LM, et al. Protocol for a randomised, multicentre, four-arm, double-blinded, placebo-controlled trial to assess the benefits and safety of iron supplementation with malaria chemoprevention to children in Malawi: IRMA trial. BMJ Open. 2023;13(10):e069011. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2022-069011
- Nagata JM, Miller JD, Cohen CR, Frongillo EA, Weke E, Burger R, Wekesa P, Sheira LA, Mocello AR, Otieno P, Butler LM, Bukusi EA, Weiser SD, Young SL. Water insecurity is associated with lack of viral suppression and greater odds of AIDS-defining illnesses among adults with HIV in western Kenya. AIDS and Behavior 2021.org/10.1007/s10461-021-03410-w
- Nguyen T, Hajeebhoy N, Li J, Do CT, Mathisen R, Frongillo EA. Community support model on breastfeeding and complementary feeding practices in remote areas in Vietnam: implementation, cost, and effectiveness.International Journal for Equity in Health 20:121, 2021. doi.org/10.1186/s12939-021-01451-0
- Nguyen PH, Kachwaha S, Pant A, Tran LM, Avula R, Young MF, Ghosh S, Sharma PK, Escobar-Alegria J, Forissier T, Patil S, Frongillo EA, Menon P. Strengthening nutrition interventions in antenatal care services affects dietary intake, micronutrient intake, gestational weight gain, and breastfeeding in Uttar Pradesh, India: Results of a cluster-randomized program evaluation. Journal of Nutritionorg/10.1093/jn/nxab131, 2021.
- Nguyen PH, Kachwaha S, Pant A, Tran LM, Walia M, Ghosh S, Sharmaa PK, Escobar-Alegria J, Frongillo EA, Menon P, Avula R. COVID-19 Disrupted Provision and Utilization of Health and Nutrition Services in Uttar Pradesh, India: Insights from Service Providers, Household Phone Surveys, and Administrative Data. J Nutr. 2021;nxab135. doi:10.1093/jn/nxab135
- Nieto C, Jauregui A, Contreras-Manzano A, Kent MP, Sacks G, White CM, Pauzé E, Vanderlee L, Thrasher JF, Barquera S, Hammond D. Adults’ Exposure to Unhealthy Food and Beverage Marketing: A Multi-country Study in Australia, Canada, Mexico, United Kingdom, and United States. The Journal of Nutrition, 2022;nxab449, https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/nxab449
- Nolan MS, Murray KO, Mejia R, Hotez PJ, Mondragon MJV, Rodriguez S, Palacios JR, Contreras WEM, Lynn MK, Torres ME, Escobar MCM. Elevated Pediatric Chagas Disease Burden Complicated by Concomitant Intestinal Parasites and Malnutrition in El Salvador.Trop Med Infect Dis. 2021;6(2):72. Published 2021 May 7. doi:10.3390/tropicalmed6020072
Onono MA, Frongillo EA, Sheira L, et al. Links between household-level income-generating agricultural intervention and the psychological wellbeing of adolescent girls in HIV-affected households in southwestern Kenya: A qualitative inquiry. J Nutr. Published online October 18, 2023:S0022-3166(23)72662-X. doi:10.1016/j.tjnut.2023.10.008
- Pakravan-Charvadeh MR, Vatanparast H, Frongillo EA, Khakpour M, Flora C. The assessment of an extended set of socio-economic determinants to explain anxiety and uncertainty, insufficient quality, and food intake of Afghan refugees. Public Health Nutrition 1-31, 2021. doi.org/10.1017/S1368980021004043
Pepetone A, Frongillo EA, Dodd KW, Wallace MP, Hammond D, Kirkpatrick SI. Prevalence and Severity of Food Insecurity Before and During the coronavirus disease-2019 Pandemic Among Adults and Youth in Australia, Canada, Chile, Mexico, the United Kingdom, and the United States. The Journal of Nutrition. Published online January 9, 2023. doi:10.1016/j.tjnut.2022.12.031
- Reyes LI, Constantinides SV, Bhandari S, Frongillo EA, Schreinemachers P, Wertheim-Heck S, Walls H, Holdsworth M, Laar A, Nguyen T, Turner C, Wellard K, Blake CE. Actions in global nutrition initiatives to promote sustainable healthy diets. Global Food Security, 2021, 100585. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gfs.2021.100585.
- Reyes LI, Frongillo EA, Moore S, Blake CE, Gonzalez W, Bonvecchio A. Functions of social networks in maternal food choice for children in Mexico. Maternal & Child Nutrition. e13263, 2021. doi.org/10.1111/mcn.13263
Sheikomar OB, Ghattas H, Sahyoun NR. Relationship between Live-In Grandparents and Grandchild’s Health and Well-Being in Palestinian Refugees in Lebanon. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2023;20(1):370. doi:10.3390/ijerph20010370
- Suhett LG, Juvanhol LL, Silva MA, Ribeiro SAV, Hermsdorff HHM, Shivappa N, Hebert JR, de Novaes JF. Interaction effect between breakfast skipping and sedentary behavior in the dietary inflammatory potential in Brazilian schoolchildren: C-DII, breakfast skipping, and sedentary behavior. 2022; 111749.
- Tinago CB, Frongillo EA, Warren AM, Chitiyo V, Cifarelli AK, Fyalkowski S; Pauline V. Development and assessment of feasibility of a community-based peer support intervention to mitigate social isolation and stigma of adolescent motherhood in Harare, Zimbabwe. Pilot and Feasibility Studies. 7:110, 2021. doi.org/10.1186/s40814-021-00832-0
- Wrottesley SV, Shivappa N, Prioreschi A, Hebert JR, et al. Anti-inflammatory diets reduce the risk of excessive gestational weight gain in urban South Africans from the Soweto First 1000-Day Study (S1000). Eur J Nutr (2022). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00394-022-02931-x
- Young SL, Bethancourt HJ, Ritter ZR, Frongillo EA. (2022). Estimating national, demographic, and socioeconomic disparities in water insecurity experiences in low-income and middle-income countries in 2020–21: a cross-sectional, observational study using nationally representative survey data. The Lancet Planetary Health. 6:11.
Young SL, Bethancourt HJ, Frongillo EA, Viviani S, Cafiero C. Concurrence of water and food insecurities, 25 low- and middle-income countries. Bulletin of the World Health Organization, 2022. https://dx.doi.org/10.2471/BLT.22.288771